EMC storage wranglers to cuddle Dell SC arrays
Compelling development for SC, much less so for PS Series
Dell's SC Series (ex-Compellent) arrays are getting EMC data mobility and protection facilities as they are brought into that side of the Dell storage house.
The arrays are getting;
- Data mobilty
- The ViPR Suite - Controller and Storage Resource Management (SRM) - support,
- Intelligent Data Mobility (IDM) support for migration to newer systems at a fixed proportional rate,
- PowerPath support with its multipath software to automates data path management, failover and recovery, and load balancing,
- VPLEX support,
- CloudArray support to extend on-premise storage arrays to the cloud.
- Data protection
- Data Domain for de-duplicated backup and recovery of data on SC Series arrays,
- Data Protection Suite for Backup featuring Avamar and NetWorker supports SC arrays, including de-duplication backup to Data Domain, backup to disk, backup to tape, and long term retention to cloud,
- RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines support.
There was no mention of common EMC array management across legacy EMC and Dell arrays and - a larger omission perhaps - Dell's PS Series arrays are not included in this announcement.
“We’re enabling our SC Series customers to continue using the products they’ve invested in while also having access to exciting new capabilities as Dell EMC continues to combine our storage solutions into a seamless portfolio,” said Dell EMC's Jeff Boudreau, general manager for Midrange Storage.
ViPR SRM and PowerPath support will be available by the end of 2016 and the other features are available now. ®
Sponsored: Becoming a Pragmatic Security Leader