Reg comments14

Fire safety gaffe knocks out Webfusion data centre

False alarm triggers mass server shutdown

DVD it in many colours

A bungling fire safety contractor caused a complete shutdown at hosting firm Webfusion's data centre today, crippling thousands of websites.

The firm's domain name arm, 123-Reg, was also temporarily offline.

"An external third party was carrying out routine maintenance in our data centre, and testing our systems for fire prevention," Webfusion said in a system status update.

"Unfortunately, due to human error, our fire prevention systems were in fact triggered.

"As a result of this, and acting as the system should in the event of a real fire, all of our servers were sent in to a safe mode whereby they went offline.

"Safety is our biggest concern, hence the system is configured to react in this way to avoid a major incident and permanent data loss."

The firm's £2.5m Leeds data centre, designed by IBM, opened in February last year. It disappeared from the internet at around 12pm, and customers are still reporting connectivity problems.

Webfusion said: "We deeply regret any problems this may have caused you, and assure you we are doing our utmost to return to normal service levels as quickly as we possibly can." ®

Update 4.40pm

Webfusion got in touch to say everything is now up and running again.

Sign up to our Newsletter

Get IT in your inbox daily

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017