Articles about news of the world

Dispatchers are vital to co-ordinating on the ground activities

CPS drops News of the World email trojan 'hacking' charges

A criminal investigation into computer hacking has been ended by the UK's Crown Prosecution Service, which dropped all charges after realising they had been time-barred for four years. To the surprise of nobody, the Metropolitan Police absolved itself of blame for the failure to bring charges against the suspects – who are …
Old Bailey Lady Justice

Coulson GUILTY of conspiring to hack phones between 2000 and 2006

Andy Coulson, the ex-News of the World editor and erstwhile spin doctor to Prime Minister David Cameron, has been found guilty at the Old Bailey in London of conspiring to hack phones. Former News International boss Rebekah Brooks was cleared on all counts of hacking into voicemails, bribery and perverting the course of …
Team Register, 24 Jun 2014
The Register breaking news

News International big boss flings himself overboard

News International boss Tom Mockridge resigned on Sunday less than two years after taking the chief exec role following the departure of Rebekah Brooks. Her exit in July 2011 marked the height of the phone-hacking scandal that engulfed the Rupert Murdoch-owned British newspaper biz. He will move on from News Int'l at the end …
Kelly Fiveash, 3 Dec 2012
The Register breaking news

Brooks, Coulson to be CHARGED over phone-hacking

Rupert Murdoch's one-time right-hand woman Rebekah Brooks, and Prime Minister David Cameron's ex-spin chief Andy Coulson, face "a realistic prospect of conviction" of alleged phone-hacking offences, the Crown Prosecution Service said this morning. Erstwhile News International boss Brooks, who had edited the Sun and the now- …
Kelly Fiveash, 24 Jul 2012
The Register breaking news

Rupert Murdoch legs it from British newspaper boards

Rupert Murdoch has quit the boards of his once beloved British newspaper business, paving the way for the tycoon's News Corp empire to be split in two. The media giant confirmed in June that Murdoch would head up the broadcasting and entertainment division created from the breakup of News Corp. For Murdoch, it's a significant …
Kelly Fiveash, 23 Jul 2012
The Register breaking news

Murdoch junior admits to a culture of 'cavalier risk' at NotW

James Murdoch – unlike his father Rupert – told the Leveson inquiry into press ethics this morning that he only read News International's now-defunct Sunday paper, News of the World, "from time to time". Ex-News International chairman Murdoch junior, who appeared to give his testimony at the Royal Courts of Justice in London …
Kelly Fiveash, 24 Apr 2012
The Register breaking news

Scotland Yard under fire over ex-Murdoch man role

Senior Met police officials "breached" Scotland Yard employment policies and demonstrated "poor judgment" when it came to their relationship with Neil Wallis – a former News of the World deputy editor – the UK's cop watchdog said today. The Independent Police Complaints Commission also confirmed today that it had planned to …
Kelly Fiveash, 12 Apr 2012
The Register breaking news

Hacking scandal: James Murdoch quits UK newspaper biz

James Murdoch has quit as executive chairman at News International. The publishing giant, owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp, has been under intense scrutiny after allegations of widespread phone-hacking and illegal payments to police emerged last year. By July 2011, the company's 168-year-old Sunday redtop NotW was …
Kelly Fiveash, 29 Feb 2012
The Register breaking news

NotW didn't delete Milly Dowler 'false hope' voicemail

New evidence has emerged that shows that the News of the World was not responsible for deleting voicemail messages on murder victim Milly Dowler's phone, a move that gave her family false hope that the schoolgirl might still be alive. Scotland Yard officers working on Operation Weeting discovered phone logs that showed that …
Kelly Fiveash, 12 Dec 2011
The Register breaking news

Actual computer hacking by UK media: Suspect cuffed

An inquiry into computer hacking by the UK media resulted in the arrest of its first suspect, a 52-year-old from Milton Keynes. The as-yet-unidentified middle-aged man was arrested on Thursday morning by officers from Scotland Yard as part of Operation Tuleta, an investigation into computer hacking by the press that is running …
John Leyden, 24 Nov 2011
The Register breaking news

Murdoch junior QUITS board of Sun publisher

James Murdoch has sensationally resigned from News Group Newspapers' board of directors, thereby seemingly turning his back on News International's remaining British publications: The Sun, The Times and the Sunday Times. A filing at Companies House, first spotted by the Evening Standard, revealed that Murdoch quietly resigned …
Kelly Fiveash, 23 Nov 2011
The Register breaking news

Phone hacking victims' QC hit by trojan infection

The opening day of a judicial inquiry into phone hacking and other privacy-invading skullduggery by the British media was briefly interrupted on Monday - by a suspected Trojan horse infection. David Sherborne, a QC representing phone hacking victims during the Leveson Inquiry into press standards, was called back to his …
John Leyden, 15 Nov 2011
The Register breaking news

Yates of the Yard cleared of misconduct

Former Scotland Yard assistant commissioner, John Yates, has been cleared of misconduct, after it was claimed that he had helped the daughter of a News of the World journalist get a job at the Met. The Independent Police Complaints Commission said in a brief statement that, following a probe into Yates' affairs, no evidence …
Kelly Fiveash, 14 Nov 2011
The Register breaking news

Murdoch blames other NI execs for phone-hacking scandal

James Murdoch has once again defended himself against allegations that he knew in 2008 that phone-hacking was more widespread than one "rogue reporter" at the company's now-closed Sunday tabloid News of the World. The News International chairman told MPs today that he was given "sufficient information" at a 30-minute meeting …
Kelly Fiveash, 10 Nov 2011
The Register breaking news

Phone-hack scandal: Bloke cuffed in cop bung probe

A 48-year-old man was arrested at an address outside London this morning by Scotland Yard officers in connection with allegations of "inappropriate payments to police". The Met said in a short statement that the unnamed man was detained on suspicion of corruption as part of Operation Elveden. That probe, supervised by the …
Kelly Fiveash, 4 Nov 2011
The Register breaking news

Cops find hackers' phone in NOTW office

Police have discovered the existence of a mobile phone known as "the Hub" which was used by News of The World journalists to hack over 1,000 voicemails between 2004 and 2006, according to The Independent. The phone sat on the news desk of the now-defunct newspaper and was used to illegally access 1,150 numbers between 2004 and …
Anna Leach, 27 Oct 2011
The Register breaking news

Dowler family bags £2m payout over phone-hacking saga

Updated News Corp has agreed to cough up £2m to the family of Milly Dowler after individuals working for the now-defunct Sunday tabloid the News of the World were found to have hacked into the murdered schoolgirl's phone. News International, owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp, confirmed the settlement in a joint statement with the …
Kelly Fiveash, 21 Oct 2011
The Register breaking news

Celebs, victims selected to join in phone-hack probe

Former News International boss Rebekah Brooks will not take part in a judicial inquiry into culture, practices and ethics of the British press. Brooks, who resigned from her job at NI in July after closing the "toxic" News of the World as allegations of widespread phone-hacking practices at the Sunday tabloid unfolded, had …
Kelly Fiveash, 14 Sep 2011

Create a news alert about news of the world, or find more stories about news of the world.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2017