Original URL: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/09/lohan_bacronym/
LOHAN slips BRA over BOOBIES in ballocket backronym buffoonery
Alternative sensible(ish) suggestions invited for control board moniker
Our invitation to readers to come up with a snappy acronym/backronym for our Low Orbit Helium Assisted Navigator (LOHAN) mission's electronic control board appears to have awoken the sniggering schoolboy inside some of you.
Special Projects Bureau tradition dictates that we have an entertaining moniker for our endeavours, hence Paper Aircraft Released Into Space (PARIS), LOHAN, and indeed the Rocketry Experimental High Altitude Barosimulator (REHAB) vacuum chamber.
Despite appearances to the contrary, we do maintain some standards of nomenclatural decorum, so the following suggestions for LOHAN's beating electronic heart won't be making the short-list for the final public vote, entertaining as some of them are:
- Balloon Or Orbital Ballocket Ignition Electronics System (BOOBIES)
- Online Real-time GPS-based Altitude Sensor Module and Ignition Controller (ORGASMIC)
- Safe High-altitude Ignition Timing System (SHITS)
- Stratospheric Launch Apparatus Providing Pre-ignition to Experimental Rocket (SLAPPER)
- Binary Response at Altitude (BRA)
In fact, we only have a couple of offerings fit for purpose, although they're both a bit of a stretch:
- Balloon Using Leccy Guaranteed Automatic Rocket Igniter and Altitude Neutralizer (BULGARIAN)
- High Ignition Launch and Time Out Neutraliser (HILTON)
Well, this just won't do. Seriously, get your act together, and come up with something witty and inspired, suitable both for public consumption and the honour of accompanying LOHAN to the stratosphere. Take it away... ®
Further LOHAN resources:
- New to LOHAN? Try this mission summary for enlightenment.
- You can find full LOHAN coverage right here.
- Join the expert LOHAN debate down at Reg forums.
- All the LOHAN and Paper Aircraft Released Into Space (PARIS) vids live on YouTube.
- For our SPB photo archive, proceed directly to Flickr.
- We sometimes indulge in light consensual tweeting, as you can see here.