O2 best placed to scoop new iPhone sales dosh
Still has fruit-stroker legion from old exclusive deal
O2 will be quids in when the next iPhone is beamed down to mere mortals, a spectacle that's strongly rumoured to be happening tomorrow.
According to figures from Kantar Worldpanel ComTech, O2 handles 45 per cent of the Apple fanbois in the UK, and those guys are known to be quite loyal.
O2 used to have the exclusive deal on iPhones, when such a thing still existed, and though that competitive edge is long gone, lots of Jesus mobe owners are still with the network. According to ComTech, 38 per cent of iPhone customers on O2 have had their fruity phone for at least 18 months, which means they're ripe for an upgrade.
“Kantar Worldpanel ComTech’s panel shows that iPhone consumers are very loyal when upgrading their device. In Britain, over 70 per cent of iPhone owners who changed their device chose another iPhone. O2 is extremely well placed to capitalise when the new iPhone is released,” said Dominic Sunnebo, global consumer insight director at Kantar.
The latest numbers from ComTech, for the 12 weeks up to 5 September, show that Android-loaded handsets are the most popular smartphones in the UK, holding 48.3 per cent of the market, while 21.2 per cent have Blackberrys and 20.8 per cent of smartphone users have iPhones. In total, around 42 per cent of people in the country own a smartphone.
ComTech conducts over a million interviews per year in Europe alone. They track information including mobile phone behaviour, purchasing of phones, mobile phone bills and airtime, source of purchase (including network and retailer) and phone usage. From this they also work out how many people are on a particular network and how far into a contract. ®