Original URL: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/28/ebay_paypal_results_strong/

PayPal pushes eBay earnings

Sticking to its knitting

By John Oates

Posted in Financial News, 28th April 2011 09:03 GMT

eBay is celebrating a 20 per cent jump in profits in the last quarter, thanks mainly to its payment system PayPal.

The online tat bazaar grew net revenues in the first quarter of 2011 to $2.5bn, up 16 per cent and net income was up 20 per cent to £398m.

eBay's chief executive John Donahoe said 2011 was off to a strong start thanks to eBay's growth in the US and strong global growth by PayPal.

Now that it is rid of Skype, which provided $125m via the repayment of a note in the period, eBay's business is split between marketplaces and payment services such as PayPal and BillMeLater.

In the three months up to 31 March 2011, eBay's markets made revenues of $1.55bn and its payment services made $992m.

By geography the US accounts for 45 per cent of this and international the remaining 55 per cent.

In terms of active users eBay claims 95.9 million active auction users, up five per cent year on year. Its payments services claim 97.7 million active registered users, up 16 per cent year on year. Net payments in the quarter were $424.6m, up 26 per cent.

In the second quarter eBay expects net revenues in the range of $2.55bn to $2.65bn.

eBay's full financial statement is here. ®