Original URL: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/20/infosmack_95/
Infosmack tackles VMware's Cloud Foundry
Rabbits about the Cloud Bunny
Episode 95 Without further ado, it's time for another Infosmack, the world's best podcast about enterprise tech.
Special guest this week is Christian Reilly, principal technology architect at a large multinational and "ex-president of the public cloud", but more recently the self anointed "president of the platform cloud", as well as a blogger at The Loose Couple's Blog.
You can listen using the Reg media player below, or download the MP3 here. ®
Very long show notes this week
This week we discuss:
- SNWUSA recap
- How in the hell did Greg get listed as a top cloud computing Twitter influencer?
- Analyst value in cloud computing
- Worst advice ever for end-users
- Christian Reilly's background with Public and Private Clouds
- Challenges of managing IT resources and application development in a large, multi-national company
- Speed of change
- Building clouds before there was "cloud"
- "Consumerisation" of IT
- Decoupling monolithic applications
- Mix of public and private cloud
- Reaction to Cloud Foundry announcement
- Advantage of Platform as a Service (PaaS)
- Similarity to Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
- Impact on VMware and partners
- Cloud Foundry is to PaaS as Open Stack is to IaaS
- Cloud Foundry competition
- Types of companies that could be early adopters of Cloud Foundry
- Is there an angle for Oracle with Cloud Foundry?
- Can Oracle embrace "open"?
- How does Cloud Foundry impact service providers?
- Iron Mountain getting out of the cloud and problems at Cirtas
- IT demands agility
- Tomorrow's CIO will be a service aggregator
- It's getting harder to be strategic with such a high rate of change in IT
- Cloud Foundry provides a level of flexibility and agility
- Cloud Bunny