Facebook acquires 300 millionth user
And stanches fiscal hemorrhage
As of today, Facebook has 300 million participants and is "cash flow positive," according to founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg.
In a blog post Tuesday afternoon, the 25-year-old Zuckerberg said that although 300 million is "a large number," the company is "just getting started on our goal of connecting everyone."
Those 300 million sign-ups may not be all that surprising - especially if you factor out the tens of millions of F'bookers who, suffering from Facebook Fatigue, sampled the service and then got on with their lives in meatspace.
What is surprising, however, is Zuckerberg's contention that the site is no longer bleeding money.
"Earlier this year, we said we expected to be cash flow positive sometime in 2010," he crowed, "and I'm pleased to share that we achieved this milestone last quarter."
A few of the comments posted to Zuckerberg's blog give an insight into the market that is being tapped to achieve that positive cash flow:
- Priti: I owe my life to Facebook so thank you.
- Lÿlãn: good luck fb,................. coz ur doin' gud and way better dan boring old myspace...........
- Marissa: GO FACEBOOK WOOHOO lol :P :)
- Ajayz: Thank me facebook for letting you to be you member..
- Libina: well thats good. maybe people will buy a book of me ..yehhhh
- James: Hey!
And then, of course, there's the inevitable party pooper:
- Ashley: yea but you still running maintenance problems. fuckin sort this shit out!!!!
Perhaps by the time Zuckerberg achieves his goal of one billion users, the Facebook engineering team will have time to pause and "fuckin sort this shit out!!!!" ®