Speaking in Tech: The post-SSD world – we’re talking about memories
Netflix is the hammer and every data centre is a nail
Hosted by Greg Knieriemen, Ed Saipetch and Sarah Vela. This week we talk Cloud Foundry, the problems with Solid State storage (losing power for a while — and then data for the rest of your life), rebooting your Boeing 787 (preferably not over the Atlantic), and Microsoft investing in undersea cable.
Our special guest this week is Val Bercovici, Cloud Czar at NetApp, who talks about a post-SSD world, backing up your data on different media, and the thought leaders in storage.
This week we discuss...
- (1:15) Ed checks in from Cloud Foundry Summit
- (6:00) Head butting a cloud guru
- (9:06) Flight attendants hate your gadgets
- (12:40) Don't forget to reboot your 787
- (13:45) SSDs can lose data without power
- (15:17) Microsoft plants underwater cables, outspending AWS
- (20:29) Flashback: Vintage Timex Watch commercial
- (23:00) Introducing Val Bercovici, NetApp Cloud Czar
- (23:50) SSD power issues and data corruption problems
- (28:00) Solid state isn't solid
- (33:36) The post-SSD world
- (37:24) "The state of NAND flash is not healthy"
- (38:41) Catching up with NetApp
Listen with the Reg player below, or download here.
Podcast Subscriber Links
Feed URL for other podcast tools – Juice, Zune, et cetera: http://nekkidtech.libsyn.com/rss