Security stock slinger Symantec speeds up with latest Backup Exec
2014 software 'up to 100% faster'....
Symantec has announced the latest version of its Backup Exec software, with a newer product that's apparently "up to 100 per cent" quicker than its "challenging" older brother.
The last major release was Backup Exec 2012 back in ... 2012. It was a controversial release, with many new and changed features and it has taken over 18 months for Symantec to update the product.
Symantec says the new version features:
- Protection of mixed virtual and physical architectures "that backs up to virtually any storage device" and achieves fast, efficient, versatile recovery.
- Up to 100 per cent faster and more reliable backup and deduplication performance, including backups of VMware and Hyper-V virtual machines, compared to previous versions of the software.
- Fast virtual machine snapshots through deep integration with Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) and VMware’s vStorage APIs for Data Protection (VADP) minimizes CPU, memory, and I/O load performance impacts on the virtual host."
- Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2 support.
- Granular Recovery for Exchange 2013/20-13 SP1 and SharePoint 2013/2013 SP1.
- Amazon Cloud Gateway VTL Support.
- Better visibility into backup jobs: "Status monitoring of backup jobs from a single view has returned. IT administrators can save time and simplify the creation of backup jobs by backing up and managing multiple servers with a single backup job."
- Simplified upgrade/migration process with "intuitive wizards and insightful dashboards." The new release maintains Backup Exec 12.5, 2010 and 2012 backup jobs and settings.
The previous Backup Exec was thought to have had upgrade issues, but Symantec says Backup Exec 2014 "is easy to implement, use and manage - whether upgrading from a previous version or switching from an alternative solution."
This version of Backup Exec should do a better job of resisting encroachments into the Backup Exec customer base by Veeam and others.
It should also help Symantec recover from the widely disliked release of Backup Exec 2012. A 100 per cent performance increase is pretty dramatic. ®
Sponsored: Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools