Gold meddler: Doctor Who is 50 years old TODAY
Half a century of banging around the universe in an old blue box
Doctor Who @ 50 Doctor Who, the longest running sci-fi show on telly, is 50 years old TODAY.
The very first episode was broadcast just after a quarter past five on 23 November, 1963 - years before a fair few Reg readers were thought of let alone thrust a-wailing into the world.
It hasn’t been a continuous run. What fans now call the Classic series ran almost continually, year after year, series after series, until 1989. A long break following the show’s cancellation came to an end with the US-made TV movie – great Doctor, terrible programme - followed by a second, which was all we had to tide us over until the show’s revival in 2005.
Russell T Davies’ new series showed you just can’t produce good Doctor Who outside of this green and pleasant land, and the show has been a hit ever since, bringing us, thus far, four new Doctors, more than half-a-dozen new companions and fresh monsters. A number of old, familiar faces have come back too.
And it shows no sign of abating. Today’s 50th anniversary features a broadcast tonight at 7.50pm of Day of the Doctor, a feature-length special. It’s being shown in 3D, and streamed to the big screen at cinemas around the world.
If you haven’t already, you can still catch the short prequel, Night of the Doctor, which neatly ties in the Eighth Doctor into tonight’s episode.
This month The Register has been celebrating the anniversary of Doctor Who with a full series of features. What better way to spent the time while you’re waiting for the start of Day of the Doctor than to give them a read:
The Mythology of Doctor Who
- Doctor Who: From Edwardian grump to Malcolm Tucker and back again
- Doctor Who Episode One: Through a glass. Darkly
- Digital deviants: The many MAD COMPUTERS of Doctor Who
- What a plot of nonsense: Ten Master master plan FAILS
The Production of Doctor Who
- Doctor Who writers Neil Gaiman and Terrance Dicks talk to The Reg
- Classic telly FX tech: How the Tardis flew before the CGI era
- Delia and the Doctor: How to cook up a tune for a Time Lord
- Doctor Who nicked my plot and all I got was a mention in this lousy feature
The Data of Doctor Who
- GALACTIC YO-YO: Doctor Who’s trips to Earth... and beyond
- BAD ALTITUDE: The highs and lows of Doctor Who
- Are you experienced? The Doctor Who assistants that SUFFERED the most
- PUNISHMENT gluttons: The Dr Who monsters that come back for more
- Planet hopper: The Earthly destinations of Doctor Who
- Staying power: The small screen spans of the eleven Doctor Whos
The Science of Doctor Who
- Hot digital dog: A man’s best friend is still his... K-9
- Build your own WORKING Sonic Screwdriver... for a UNDER A FIVER
- Want to BUILD YOUR OWN Tardis? First, get a star and set it spinning...
- Could Doctor Who really bump into human space dwellers?
The Culture of Doctor Who
- Who’s Who: a Reg quest to find the BEST DOCTOR
- DE-MON-STRATE! How a DALEK SAVED AUSTRALIA from a Dr Who drought in 1977
- Three Men in a Tardis
The Very Best of Doctor Who
Sponsored: Today’s most dangerous security threats