Speaking in Tech: Portland hipsters gagging for yesterday's web tool
Someone came in two years ago and set up our Drupal instance... what NOW?
For El Reg's latest Speaking in Tech podcast, Ed Saipetch is hosting the chat live from DrupalCon 2013, which is in hipster central Portland this year, while co-hosts Greg Knieriemen and Sarah Vela put out fires elsewhere.
Eddie is joined by special guests Joaquin Lippincott, president of Metal Toad Media and Holly Ross, executive director of the Drupal Association. The two of them help explain to Eddie how Drupal penetrates the enterprise (via techies, not marketeers, who are apparently not keen on the "blue poop") and why people can't moan if they never upgrade. Also, Ed explains why you don't need manners to do a live chat on The Register... Plug in, it's going to be an interesting ride.
This week, they discuss...
- Drupal and the Drupal Association
- Who is using Drupal? Whitehouse.gov, Emmys, Grammys
- What matters in a CMS? modular, extensibility, arbitrarily create APIs, intersection with Bigdata
- Drupal adoption (tech guys vs marketing and CMOs)
- What about the upgrade path?
- Blogging is the gateway drug to content management
- SaaS vs hosted instances
- Blogs and CMS systems, where all content goes to die
- Business Units asking for Glitter Dusted Unicorns
- Drupal and Open-source governance
- Commercial involvement, monetization models for contributors
- Content Management System disrupting commercial markets
Listen with the Reg player below, or download here.
Podcast Subscriber Links