Speaking in Tech: Cloud, yes. Doughnuts, yes! Five-mile run, NOO!
Balancing loads: not just apps, but stuffed bellies on fun-runs too
It's time for the weekly Speaking in Tech podcast, hosted by Greg Knieriemen, Ed Saipetch and Sarah Vela - although Sarah is out and about yet again enjoying SXSW 2013. But the guys are joined by special guest Brian Gracely, vice-president of solutions at enterprise-grade cloud software maker Virtustream and co-host of the Cloudcast.Net podcast.
This week the trio discuss:
- Sarah is still not back yet from this year's SXSW.
- Greg is on the move for work and recording the podcast from a hotel over a weekend when there's no one else on travelling on business - three words: lounge lizard hell. 1980s and 1970s covers bands, you name it.
- A quick review of the Cloudcast.net podcast.
- A charity fundraiser involving doughnuts and a five-mile run, aka "eat, run, vomit".
- The skinny on Virtustream and what it's like to work in a startup after years in globo-corps.
- How to juggle application workloads in the cloud, starting off with the large code-bases first and moving onto the "low-hanging fruit" of simpler software last.
- VMware tweets a leak.
- Shake-ups at EMC-owned VMware.
- The big challenge for cloud-service providers.
Listen with the Reg player below, or download here.
Podcast Subscriber Links