From post-coital squid to high-res Playboy bunnies: The 2012 'IT angle?!' quiz
Test your knowledge of the year's most stimulating stories
The Woz and frustrated fruit flies
16. A French perfume house has developed a scent that evokes a remembrance of what?
A. a Peugeot fresh from the showroom
C. unboxing an Apple MacBook
D. mimeograph ink
17. Apple applied for a patent for a keyboard that could be made of what material?
A. five nanometer–thick graphene
B. environmentally sustainable hardwoods
C. polished meteorite
D. a lightweight, rigid plastic for which Apple also holds a patent
18. What percentage of a $499 iPad's price goes to the Chinese workers who built it?
19. Chinese police raided a company that was selling what items branded as Apple iPhones?
A. knock-off New Balance shoes (Steve Jobs' favorite brand)
B. instant noodles
C. gas stoves
D. reconditioned Nokia phones
20. A Chinese woman was arrested for attempting to smuggle iPhones in what?
A. her pet dog
B. beer bottles
C. diplomatic pouches
D. various bodily cavities
21. What was the distance achieved by Ere Karjalainen, the winner of the 12th annual World Phone Throwing championships in Savonlinna, Finland?
A. one meter more than the maximum distance between the try lines (goal lines) of a regulation rugby pitch
B. 6.175 double-decker buses
C. 3.75 average blue whales
D. exact distance unknown, because the phones were thrown into the Koululahti waterway
22. In how many Reg stories was Apple cofounder Steve Wozniak mentioned during 2012?
B. not enough
C. too many
D. Steve who?
23. What do male fruit flies who have been sexually rejected do?
A. drink booze
B. engage in male-to-male sexual stimulation
C. fly as high as they can until exhausted, then fall to their deaths
D. lie about their failure to other male fruit flies
24. What physical challenge did genome sequencing uncover that a 5,000-year-old murder victim named Ötzi not have?
A. Lyme disease
B. a genetic predisposition to heart disease
C. male pattern baldness
D. lactose intolerance
25. What movie did the Vatican declare to be a "modern classic" and "now enshrined as a masterpiece"?
A. Ben Hur
B. Bedtime for Bonzo
D. Blues Brothers
26. Place the following movies in the order in which Reg readers voted them as being the worst five of all time (worst first).
A. Highlander II
C. The Phantom Menace
D. Battlefield Earth
27. Where does the Simpsons family of television fame live?
A. Springfield, Oregon
B. Springfield, Massachusetts
C. Springfield, Illinois
D. Springfield, Missouri
28. What company faked a game demo at CES 2012?
D. Electronic Arts
29. A Turkish cybersquatter registered a dozen or more .xxx domains based on what public figure's name?
A. Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
B. Lady Gaga
C. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
D. Pope Benedict XVI
30. According to a Cisco survey, which of the following would an IT manager not prefer over migrating his or her business to a private or public cloud?
A. getting a root canal
B. digging a ditch
C. eating soap
D. doing his or her taxes
Sponsored: CISO Guide: Secure Cloud and Mobile Data