16th December 2012 Archive
Browse by publication date, or search the site.
Massive surprise lurks in LHC data release
Isn’t that just typical? Science waits half a century for a Higgs boson, and when it arrives, just like a bus, a second one is right behind. That’s the tantalising prospect raised by the most recent release of data from the Large Hadron Collider scientists, who had barely finished celebrating after confirming that they’d …
Science 16 Dec 22:05
Singularity Beta here we come
Futurist, artificial intelligence expert and inventor Ray Kurzweil will join Google as a director of engineering. Kurzweil's profile is such that it was he – and not his new employer – who announced the new gig, and on his own web site to boot. Google is so far silent on the reasons for Kurzweil's appointment, but the new …
Jobs 16 Dec 23:09
Conroy calls it 'waterfront property', telcos call it a rip-off
Australia's spectrum auction has found a terrible reception from those hoped to be most interested in access to the airwaves, with local carriers deciding not to bid. The auction to be held in April next year is for Australia’s 700MHz and 2.5GHz spectrum, will reallocate the spectrum that becomes available when broadcasters …
Networks 16 Dec 23:35
- Geek's Guide to Britain INSIDE GCHQ: Welcome to Cheltenham's cottage industry
- 'Catastrophic failure' of 3D-printed gun in Oz Police test
- Game Theory Is the next-gen console war already One?
- BBC suspends CTO after it wastes £100m on doomed IT system
- Peak Facebook: British users lose their Liking for Zuck's ad empire