HP deed-poll drama: MORE new names for storage kiddies
Isn't this getting a bit confusing?
HP is currently rebranding its storage arrays as StoreSomething and the HP X9000 IBRIX scale-out filers are looking to become HP's StoreAll product line, with the 3PAR block arrays becoming StoreServs.
The company has already announced the StoreOnce, StoreVirtual and StoreEasy brands. It looks as if there are going to be more shortly.
There is an HP Support Document which discusses a possible system hang when a file system is created or expanded. It lists the possible affected hardware and the list includes these products:
- AW549A (HP IBRIX X9700 Performance Chassis: Standard HP Product),
- AW549B (HP IBRIX X9700 Performance Chassis: Standard HP Product),
- QZ728A (HP IBRIX X9730 Base Rack: Standard HP Product),
- QZ729A (HP IBRIX X9730 Performance Chassis: Standard HP Product),
- QZ729B (HP IBRIX X9730 Performance Chassis: Standard HP Product),
- QZ730A (HP IBRIX X9730 140TB 2TB 7.2K LFF MDL Storage and Performance Module: Standard HP Product),
- QZ731A (HP IBRIX X9730 210TB 3TB 7.2K LFF MDL Storage and Performance Module: Standard HP Product),
- QZ731B (HP IBRIX X9730 210TB 3TB 7.2K LFF MDL Storage and Performance Module: Standard HP Product),
- QZ732A (HP StoreAll* 9730 140TB LFF 2TB 7.2K MDL 6Gb Storage Couplet: Standard HP Product),
- QZ733A (HP StoreAll* 9730 210TB LFF 3TB 7.2K MDL 6Gb Storage Couplet: Standard HP Product)
Then there are some HP job ads which mention Ibrix and StoreAll. Clicking on their links gets us nowhere - the jobs have been filled or have disappeared - but we have the Google search page which mentions the StoreAll word and here it is:
HP job Ads mentioning Ibrix and StoreAll
So El Reg hazards a guess that HP Ibrix X9000 arrays are going to become StoreAll arrays. Pity... we'd have liked the StoreBrix moniker.
This leaves a question though: how will HP rebrand its 3PAR range? StoreBlocks? StoreSAN? StoreThin?
We reckon it could be StoreServ. Have a look at this HP document called Quick Specs - HP VirtualSystem for VMware.
Section 6 on page 2 looks like this:
There it is: HP 3PAR StoreServ.
THe next page of the document has HP StoreServe co-existing with 3PAR F- and V-class arrays.
Page 10 identifies StoreServ 7400 products, mentioning a 4-port 8G FCA item, replication and reporting items as well. ®
*El Reg's emphasis.
Seems that HP Marketing haven't anything better to do then. We still use the product names as they were before HP brought the companies - Lefthand, 3PAR etc. I suspect we're not alone. Worse than that, is that they've tried to merge these products tech support into the core HP Support structure. The trouble is that the original support teams were offering a far better service than HP ever has - by all means buy up these little guys to provide investment etc, but please leave their names and support alone!
What is this, the fucking Teletubbies?
Does no-one use proper grown-up product names any more?
We should send Gordon Ramsay in to sort them out.
Their management GPS is so off course they've driven into the sea and kept on going.