Burnt Samsung Galaxy S III singed by external source, probe reveals
Microwave to dry it out, it seems
Pictures showing a heat-damaged Samsung Galaxy S III smartphone were seemingly the result of a bonkers bid to dry out a wet handset by heating it in a microwave oven.
The snaps appeared online last month. They showed an S III with burn damage down near the phone's Micro USB port. The battery was intact and undamaged.
Samsung quickly said it was reaching out to get hold of the device to investigate the damage.
This weekend, it published the results of the probe, conducted by a UK-based third-party fire damage testing operation, Fire Investigations.
FI reported that "the heat damage does not appear to have been from an external heat flux, such as a naked flame". Rather, "the heat damage to the device appears to have been generated from within the device".
Inside the device? That points the finger at the phone, surely? Not quite - the energy was not generated by the device, FI concluded. "Based on the observed physical damage to the internal components, in particular the electrical components attached to the PCB, the heat does not appear to have been generated from energy within the device but from an external source," it said.
The external source, in FI's opinion, was microwave energy.
FI's report suggests other tests be carried out to confirm this, particularly an investigation of the cradle unit it believes the phone was slotted into when the damage took place.
But that now seems unnecessary. After publication of the FI report's conclusion by Samsung this past weekend, the poster of the original snaps admitted online: "The damage to the phone was caused by another person, although they were attempting to recover the phone from water… It occurred due to a large amount of external and there was no fault with the phone."
Reading between the lines of the FI report and the response: someone put the phone in a microwave to boil away the water that had penetrated the casing. ®
Thanks to reader Kris for the tip
Phone dunking rule 2. Put phone in bowl of dry uncooked long grain rice in the airing cupboard.
The rice is hygroscopic and will attract the moisture from the phone.
Wise use of the Anonymous Coward you trolling moron.
How would you like your smartphone?
Not the sharpest tool in the box? You are being far too kind. -:)
Some person or persons put a wet mobile phone in a microwave to dry it out? Thus making sure that (apart from any direct effects of the radiation on the kit) the water would boil inside the phone - I am speechless. Then after having done this and wrecked said phone they go and inform World+Wife+Dog via the internet as if they were somehow proud of what they had done. How is it possible to be that brain-dead? The only way that they could have made bigger fools of themselves would have been to film themselves doing it and posting the result on YouTube.
Not the sharpest tool in the box
Maybe he thought it was compatible with his Samsung microwave?