17th June 2012 Archive
Browse by publication date, or search the site.
Sina Weibo users accounted for in People app
Hot on the heels of Apple’s China love-in at its Worldwide Developers Conference this week, news has emerged that Microsoft is planning to integrate the country’s hugely popular Sina Weibo micro-blogging platform into Windows 8. Jeff Kunis, a group program manager on the Windows Live team, revealed the news in a comment at the …
Networks 17 Jun 00:01
120 teraflop, 757-GPU gSTAR is astronomers' new toy
Swinburne University has brought a new 120 teraflop GPU-based supercomputer from SGI to help cope with astronomers' ever-increasing need for lots of computing power. The 636 Intel GPU, 121 NVIDIA GPU, quad-InfiniBand machine, gSTAR, is one of just six similar grunt-boxes in Australia. The power boost over Swinburne’s previous …
HPC 17 Jun 23:05
Virtualized USB drive as honeypot
The Honeynet project has picked up research by a German student to trap malware designed to spread via USB keys. USB-distributed malware – like Stuxnet and its bloated cousin, Flame – presents problems for network-based security, since they don’t spread through the network. The Bonn University student, Sebastian Peoplau, has …
Security 17 Jun 23:38
- Nuke plants to rely on PDP-11 code UNTIL 2050!
- Spin doctors brazenly fiddle with tiny bits in front of the neighbours
- Game Theory Out with a bang: The Last of Us lets PS3 exit with head held high
- That Microsoft-Nokia merger you've been predicting? It's no go
- Microsoft breaks bug-bounty virginity in $100,000 contest