Feeds

Pandora may open its box downunder

Stealing advertising and eroding listeners: report warns

  • alert
  • submit to reddit

Bridging the IT gap between rising business demands and ageing tools

Internet radio outfit Pandora is set to disrupt the Australian radio landscape eroding advertising revenue and asset valuation, according to a new report from Morgan Stanley.

The report suggests that Southern Cross Media (SXL) group, as the largest and most profitable radio business in Australia, has the most to lose from new entrants such as Pandora or local clones but significantly also has the strongest platform from which to launch its own personalized internet radio business and to gain a first mover advantage over new entrants.

“We expect personalized Internet Radio services,such as Pandora, will enter this market at some point over the next 2-3 years," the report states.

Pandora has yet to signal its intention to hit down under but Australia is getting its first wave of digital music streaming upstarts, with the launch of Spotify, the Omnifone backed Rara.com and the music project from the Skype founding crew, Rdio.

"We believe it’s only a matter of time before the internet has a negative impact on traditional radio listenership … and thereafter radio asset values in Australia too,” Morgan Stanley warns.

The report states that as radio accounts for around 60 percent of SXL’s total revenues and TV the other 40 percent, if a new entrant like Pandora were to launch in Australia and capture 2-3 percent of the market within 3 years,“ it would be analogous to the last time the Federal Government auctioned off new FM radio licences, back in year 2000-2003.”

In the wake of the new licences being issued, back then, ASX listed Austereo underperformed for a considerable period as investors tried to quantify the impact on earnings of new licences issued, the analysts point out.

In the US Pandora listeners account for 4-5 percent of all radio listener hours in the US but most significantly is forecast to generate $US364m of advertising revenue in 2012. Morgan Stanley Research forecasts that by 2016, Pandora is forecast to generate $US1.45bn of ad revenue, equating to a 10 percent share of the total US radio market.

Another key factor is that 78 percent of Pandora’s monthly unique visitors are listened from a mobile device, including over 50 percent that listened only from a mobile device, according to Commscore. ®

The Power of One Brief: Top reasons to choose HP BladeSystem

More from The Register

next story
BBC goes offline in MASSIVE COCKUP: Stephen Fry partly muzzled
Auntie tight-lipped as major outage rolls on
iPad? More like iFAD: We reveal why Apple fell into IBM's arms
But never fear fanbois, you're still lapping up iPhones, Macs
Nadella: Apps must run on ALL WINDOWS – PCs, slabs and mobes
Phone egg, meet desktop chicken - your mother
White? Male? You work in tech? Let us guess ... Twitter? We KNEW it!
Grim diversity numbers dumped alongside Facebook earnings
Microsoft: We're making ONE TRUE WINDOWS to rule us all
Enterprise, Windows still power firm's shaky money-maker
HP, Microsoft prove it again: Big Business doesn't create jobs
SMEs get lip service - what they need is dinner at the Club
ITC: Seagate and LSI can infringe Realtek patents because Realtek isn't in the US
Land of the (get off scot) free, when it's a foreign owner
Dude, you're getting a Dell – with BITCOIN: IT giant slurps cryptocash
1. Buy PC with Bitcoin. 2. Mine more coins. 3. Goto step 1
There's NOTHING on TV in Europe – American video DOMINATES
Even France's mega subsidies don't stop US content onslaught
prev story

Whitepapers

Designing a Defense for Mobile Applications
Learn about the various considerations for defending mobile applications - from the application architecture itself to the myriad testing technologies.
How modern custom applications can spur business growth
Learn how to create, deploy and manage custom applications without consuming or expanding the need for scarce, expensive IT resources.
Reducing security risks from open source software
Follow a few strategies and your organization can gain the full benefits of open source and the cloud without compromising the security of your applications.
Boost IT visibility and business value
How building a great service catalog relieves pressure points and demonstrates the value of IT service management.
Consolidation: the foundation for IT and business transformation
In this whitepaper learn how effective consolidation of IT and business resources can enable multiple, meaningful business benefits.