14th January 2012 Archive
Browse by publication date, or search the site.
More grist for the regulatory mill
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) may be expanding its antitrust investigations to include the increasing integration of Google+ into Mountain View‘s search engine business. Additional probes into the links between Google and its fledgling social network are being ordered to assess to what - if any - level Mountain View is …
Government 14 Jan 2012, 03:05
CES 2012 Las Vegas eye-catchers
Las Vegas, gambling’s natural home played host to 2012 Consumer Electronics Show (CES) this week. Here, the technology giants placed their bets and showed their hands with the launch of hundreds, nay thousands, of new technology products. On the table, PC manufacturers were upping the stakes with Ultrabooks aplenty – each …
Hardware 14 Jan 2012, 08:00
QotW Ballmer, Jobs dolls and Nuclear Annihilation
Gadgets were launched, people said stupid things and journalists trudged up and down writing stories about ultrabooks, this week was CES and it sent the tech press into a LED-dazzled headspin. There was less media attention, from US TV anyway, on the threat to web freedoms of the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA), under …
Bootnotes 14 Jan 2012, 09:00
- Nuke plants to rely on PDP-11 code UNTIL 2050!
- Spin doctors brazenly fiddle with tiny bits in front of the neighbours
- Game Theory Out with a bang: The Last of Us lets PS3 exit with head held high
- That Microsoft-Nokia merger you've been predicting? It's no go
- Microsoft breaks bug-bounty virginity in $100,000 contest