MYSTERY of huge Canadian chicken-shed EXPLOSION
NO CHICKENS were present, Mounties rule out fowl play
The Mounties have confessed themselves baffled after a Canadian chicken shed blew up in a huge, devastating explosion whose shockwaves were "felt across southern Manitoba", according to reports.
The Red River Valley Echo has the story, reporting that a "large chicken barn which used to be part of the landscape" exploded in a "massive cloud of smoke" last week.
"It was like somebody chopped it up into little pieces and just flung it everywhere," local resident Joyce Penner told the paper, adding that the detonating 5,000 foot2 building had caused the "loudest boom" she had ever heard in her life. The explosion blew in her kitchen windows, dished in the wall of her house, left power cables trailing on the ground nearby and lifted her garage from its foundations – though fortunately no one was hurt.
The "big boom" apparently rumbled all across southern Manitoba, a vast prairie province in central Canada. The Echo reports that people "as far away as Lowe Farm, Winkler, Carman, Homewood and Altona" heard and felt the blast.
Local fire, ambulance and power-company crews raced to the scene, swiftly followed by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
RCMP constable Miles Hiebert confessed that the Mounties are baffled by the mighty blast. He told the Echo that there had been no chickens in the shed at the time of the explosion.
Local landlord Alvin Weiss added: "The propane tanks are completely intact, and there's been no power in it for years. And it was completely clean."
The Manitoba Fire Commissioner's office stated that there was nothing about the explosion to indicate foul play.
It would appear that the bizarre, devastating chicken-shed explosion of Manitoba may continue to baffle even the famously persistent Mounties. In years to come people may speak of it alongside Roswell, the Mary Celeste and suchlike strange happenings.
Or then again maybe not. ®