Feeds

T-Mobile touts US teen tracker

Parental paranoia palliative motion-monitoring app for less dicey driving

Boost IT visibility and business value

T-Mobile USA is offering to prevent teens texting while driving for only $5 a month, and track their movements for free, as long as they have an Android handset.

DriveSmart Plus comes from Location Labs, which also provides FamilyWhere for those who want their offspring's movements plotted on a convenient map.

DriveSmart kicks in when the GPS system reports the phone is moving, prevents text messages being sent and redirects all calls, with an override button that reports back to mom and dad for later explanation.

The more astute reader will have noticed a flaw in this plan: teens travelling on buses or trains will be equally cut off, but we have to assume that American kids rich enough to have Android phones would never stoop to travelling on public transport.

According to the Location Labs video, delightfully presented from the back seat while not wearing a seatbelt, 20 per cent of (US) car accidents "involve some type of distraction" which worries us slightly - the other 80 per cent are presumably concentrating fiercely as they plough into each other?

Location Labs makes some play of its ability to integrate with operator infrastructure to pull location data from the network, for the delivery of targeted advertising and such, though today's offerings both make use of the GPS capability of Android handsets which is easier to implement but limits the audience.

For DriveSmart Plus the offering is limited to the LG Optimus T handset, though others are reportedly in the pipeline. Anyone who uses public transport would obviously find the application irritating and useless, but if you're the kind of parent who doesn't trust your kids not to text and drive, or wants to track them 24/7, then you're probably not going to let them on a bus either. ®

Secure remote control for conventional and virtual desktops

More from The Register

next story
Déjà vu: Virgin Media jacks up broadband prices
Screw copper phone lines, we're UNIQUE, bleats telco
UK fuzz want PINCODES on ALL mobile phones
Met Police calls for mandatory passwords on all new mobes
Netflix swallows yet another bitter pill, inks peering deal with TWC
Net neutrality crusader once again pays up for priority access
Fifteen zero days found in hacker router comp romp
Four routers rooted in SOHOpelessly Broken challenge
New Sprint CEO says he will lower axe on staff – but prices come first
'Very disruptive' new rates to be revealed next week
US TV stations bowl sueball directly at FCC's spectrum mega-sale
Broadcasters upset about coverage and cost as they shift up and down the dials
UK mobile coverage is BETTER than EVER, networks tell Ofcom
Regulator swallows this line and parrots it back out at us. What are they playing at?
What's the nature of your emergency, Vodafone?
Oh, you've dialled the wrong number for ad fibs, rules ASA
EE network whacked by 'PDP authentication failure' blunder
Carrier is 'aware' of cockup, working on a fix NOW
ROAD TRIP! An FCC road trip – Leahy demands net neutrality debate across US
You crashed watchdog's site, now time to crash its ears
prev story

Whitepapers

Implementing global e-invoicing with guaranteed legal certainty
Explaining the role local tax compliance plays in successful supply chain management and e-business and how leading global brands are addressing this.
Top 10 endpoint backup mistakes
Avoid the ten endpoint backup mistakes to ensure that your critical corporate data is protected and end user productivity is improved.
Top 8 considerations to enable and simplify mobility
In this whitepaper learn how to successfully add mobile capabilities simply and cost effectively.
Rethinking backup and recovery in the modern data center
Combining intelligence, operational analytics, and automation to enable efficient, data-driven IT organizations using the HP ABR approach.
Reg Reader Research: SaaS based Email and Office Productivity Tools
Read this Reg reader report which provides advice and guidance for SMBs towards the use of SaaS based email and Office productivity tools.