Sony Ericsson delays X10 Android 2.1 update
We need a couple more weeks, OK?
Sony Ericsson has revised its roll-out schedule for Android 2.1 updates to its X10 smartphones.
The news is not good, but the delay might have been longer, we guess. According to the company, "we need a couple of more weeks before we are ready" to release the updates.
The update was originally planned for "late Q3" - about now, in other words - but it's not now going to appear until the end of October at the earliest. "It will take some additional weeks from end of October before all different kits have the new software available," said SE blogger Rikard Skogberg.
"What we mean by a 'kit' is a different configuration, ie. colour of the phone, bundled accessories but most importantly in this case different software configurations.
"The difference in software between different kits is mainly related to included languages, settings, applications etc – all this to comply with different legal and operator requirements."
So when you get the update will depend on the model you have, who you bought it from, which country you bought it and... er... what colour it is.
Here's what the release, when it comes, will bring:
- HD video recording with continuous auto-focus for high quality videos
- Upgrade of the Android platform to Android 2.1
- New back up and restore application, with extended content back up
- 5 homescreens for apps, widgets, shortcuts and folders
- Social phonebook which automatically syncs contact pictures from Facebook and shows when your friends are online
Xperia X10 Mini and X10 Mini Pro
- Improved Bluetooth functionality with support for sending and receiving pictures, contacts and more
- New backup and restore application with extended content back up
- Automatic synchronization of your contact pictures between Facebook and your phone book
- Improved ways of handling pictures, audio, text and numbers in your messages
- Upgrade of the Android platform to Android platform 2.1
SE first talked up the X10 Android 2.1 update way back in May, but at least had the foresight to say the firmware was some way away from release - in Q4, to be exact, which is when it will now arrive.
The company revised its timetable last month to bring the release forward. Clearly it was badly advised. ®
I have an x10 mini and I love it. Battery life is good for 2 days, but I downloaded a task killer and keep the internet connection off unless I need to check my mail as well as keeping wifi and bluetooth off when not needed and can squeeze another day or two depending on where I am and what I do.
Performance-wise, the custom UI is nice and hasn't pissed me off yet and Timescape is actually useful.
Superb camera too.
I thought it was coming later on this year anyway, so no real biggie.
I know people get all antsy about older versions of software and not being fully up to date, but the phone works well as a phone, camera and browser so it's not that big hardship.
RE: Greg J Preece
Maybe yours is faulty or too much is running at once?
Brand new, dude
Brand new phone, no protector on it, just doesn't drag properly. Though it does, rather weirdly, seem to be improving...
Get yours checked or clean the screen
Have you got a screen protector on or is it just dirty?
I have the same phone with no trouble like that, tapping the screen lightly produces good results on mine. Get yours checked out to see its ok