IT engineer fights spider with improvised flamethrower
Can of deodorant + lighter = hospital
An IT engineer who attempted to dispatch a spider with an improvised flamethrower ended up on the wrong end of his own can of deodorant, the Sun reports.
Dad-of-two Chris Welding, of Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, explained: "It was about 10.30pm last night. My wife was getting ready for bed and suddenly she let out a scream. She said there was a spider in the bathroom and asked me to get rid of it - neither she or the kids would go in there.
"The spider had crawled into the recess behind the loo and there was no way I could get to it."
He continued: "Stupid as it is, I grabbed a can of deodorant and a lighter and sprayed it behind the loo. The flame shot out and went round the back of the toilet and came back out at me. It was a bit of a shock."
Welding jumped into a cold shower to mitigate the effects of the fireball while his missus called for professional assistance. Cue a couple of fire crews, an ambulance and a trip to Colchester General Hospital for the wannabe Roger Moore.
He concluded: "I've got two burned fingers and a burned knuckle. I wasn't badly injured but they wanted to check I hadn't inhaled any of the fumes."
The fate of the spider is unknown. By the time emergency services attended the scene, it had disappeared, the Sun chillingly notes. ®
the old trick eh?
I do this all the time. Most recently to dispatch a large amount of wasps which had congregated in my kitchen one morning after the light had been left on all night. There were nine of the little bastards. Nine!
Anyway, I burst in there with a can of my girlfriend's hair spray, a yellow Clipper and a pair of sunglasses and sent all those stripey fuckers to hell.
Worked a treat.
The only good bug is a dead bug
Would you like to know more?
Two fire crews and an ambulance?
For a couple of small burns? Why the fuck was so much time and money wasted on some guy who had an owie?
"In case he inhaled some fumes" is not an answer, by the way, unless they're now using a new propellant which suddenly turns into radioactive thallium. I know, and have read of, many people who have done similar (including myself, many times during my teens) with absolutely no ill effects -- so to my mind taking him in on the off chance something very very rare happened is akin to taking someone random off the street to hospital just in case they're about to have a heart attack.