19th June 2010 Archive
Browse by publication date, or search the site.
Branches code tree for formats future
Google has added an experimental branch to the VP8 code tree, encouraging developers to begin work on the next incarnation of its newly open sourced video codec. Mountain View open sourced its $124.6 million VP8 codec less than a month ago in an effort to create a royalty free standard for web video, rolling it into a larger …
Music and Media 19 Jun 00:10
'Substantial' pay for 'successful' gamers
Microsoft is throwing cash at iPhone games developers in a bid to increase the number of applications for its yet-to-launch Windows Phone 7. A report from Pocket Gamer says that Microsoft is contacting successful iPhone developers and offering them "substantial" amounts of money – up front – to port their software to Windows …
Developer 19 Jun 07:02
Second chance saloon
In the past seven days, Reg Hardware reviewed various products from the worlds of consumer electronics, photography, gaming, mobile communications and information technology. In case you weren't paying attention, here are all the products we evaluated this past week. iPad Ten Essential iPad Accessories Product Round-up …
Hardware 19 Jun 08:02
- Geek's Guide to Britain INSIDE GCHQ: Welcome to Cheltenham's cottage industry
- 'Catastrophic failure' of 3D-printed gun in Oz Police test
- Game Theory Is the next-gen console war already One?
- BBC suspends CTO after it wastes £100m on doomed IT system
- Peak Facebook: British users lose their Liking for Zuck's ad empire