Strippers hit historic Marconi HQ
Maybe we can make a radio with this?
The plight of Chelmsford's historic Marconi headquarters, the world's first radio factory, has upset founder Guglielmo Marconi's family. The listed building is in the hands of receivers, having been empty for two years and after plans to redevelop were abandoned.
The BBC found that reporters could wander in through an open door, and found plenty of evidence of vandalism and theft. Receivers Zolfo Cooper say they're increasing security on the premises.
Marconi moved to England in 1896, setting in Chelmsford two years later. The premises now derelict were purpose-built in 1912. The first official live broadcast took place from the building in 1920.
Marconi ceased to be an independent company after WW2, being acquired by English Electric. The Marconi brand name was acquired by Ericsson five years ago.