Salacious smut soaks 12% of web
'The internet is for porn'
It brought 8mm film projectors into the home. It launched the VHS revolution. And it has contributed mightily to the success of the internet. What else could we be referrring to but porn?
And now Online MBA has provided a staggering set of stats that show exactly how pervasive the ever-evolving effluence of erotica is on the intertubes.
The Reg can neither confirm nor disprove their findings — if anything, some numbers seem low — but here are some examples:
- One in three porn viewers are women.
- The interent porn industry has yearly revenues of $2.8bn in the US alone, and $4.9bn worldwide.
- 35 per cent of all internet downloads are of porn.
- The heartland midwestern city of Elmhurst, Illinois, leads the US is search requests for "sex", "porn", and "xxx" — per capita, one assumes.
- The most popular day for viewing porn in the US is Sunday.
And that's just a sample — take a look at Online MBA's full panoply of titillatory-treat tracking, below.
Via: Online MBA
Sponsored: Network DDoS protection