Opera targets mobile with email acquisition
Fastmail.fm takes the money
Opera has bought Australian email provider Fastmail.fm, the two firms announced today.
The acquisition is designed to strengthen Opera's mobile email offering.
Fastmail.fm has been around for 10 years. It said it decided to sell up in light of "an increasingly competitive market", which means it needs Opera's resources to improve its products and infrastructure.
Customers who don't want Opera to provide their email are invited to cancel their accounts here.
"The newest generation of web users will discover the web through a mobile device," said Opera's chief strategy officer Rolf Assev.
"Having world-class messaging capability alongside a rich and compelling Web experience is essential. By combining forces, Opera and FastMail.fm can offer messaging on any device."
The terms of the deal were not disclosed. ®
Don't mess with it
Fastmail is the best email service, bar none. Don't usually pay for stuff like that I can get free elsewhere but Fastmail is so useful I have absolutely no qualms about paying the yearly membership fee. Opera had better not change anything.
Honest question - nothing against Opera, but how does owning Fastmail help them?
But yeah, "me too!" I've been using it for several years now. It only gets better.
* Custom sieve scripts for filtering, with SpamAssassin tie-ins and virus filtering
* mail for email@example.com can be sent to made-up names like firstname.lastname@example.org - will go to sites folder or top level if amazon folder doesn't exist - great for tracing the source of spam!
* Subscribers can use their own domains
* Multiple personalities
* WebDAV and FTP accessible storage
* good web UI, ridiculous number of configuration options
* support for PUSH-IMAP. I use K-9 on my android and just select the folders I want pushed to
* I've never experienced any downtime!
* Responsive techsupp, active forums. People that use and run this service know how to get the most of it.
Hope they're all rich now, but stick around to keep up the good work anyway!
Email - that's new, right?
That is all