20th February 2010 Archive
Browse by publication date, or search the site.
Ballmer, trolls, and the next ten years
For some, Oracle's $5.6bn purchase of Sun Microsystems was good news for open source. After all, a mega tech vendor has acquired a hugely popular open-source database product and project: MySQL. But at the same time, as the European Union's anti-trust probe wore on, costing Oracle's chief executive $100m a month, and MySQL co- …
Software 20 Feb 00:01
Time to open source?
Google has completed its acquisition of video compression outfit On2 Technologies. On Friday, according to brief statements from the two companies, On2 shareholders voted to approve a deal valued at approximately $124.6 million. That's roughly $18 million more than the value Google named when it first announced the acquisition …
Financial News 20 Feb 06:27
This time last year, there was only one Freesat recorder available, from Humax. Now there are several, of which the Sagem DTR94500S HD is one of the latest. Sagem's DTR94500S HD: the front panel doesn't exude quality It’s a slim unit, around the size of three external hard drive enclosures put side to side – a size that’s …
Reg Hardware 20 Feb 09:02
- Geek's Guide to Britain INSIDE GCHQ: Welcome to Cheltenham's cottage industry
- 'Catastrophic failure' of 3D-printed gun in Oz Police test
- Game Theory Is the next-gen console war already One?
- Analysis Spam and the Byzantine Empire: How Bitcoin tech REALLY works
- Apple cored: Samsung sells 10 million Galaxy S4 in a month