Feeds

Boffins develop virtual reality anti-bullying game

One in the eye for the Muntzes

Secure remote control for conventional and virtual desktops

Boffins at Warwick University* have claimed their virtual reality bullying simulator will help victims cope with the stress of being taunted.

FearNot! creates a virtual school with 3D pupils that can be set to bully, look like an easy target or sit meekly in fear of attracting unwanted attention.

Intelligent agents

These virtual bullies, victims and bystanders are then used to "improvise real-life bullying incidents". With the virtual classroom bear pit set in motion, real children can wade in with their own ways to deal with the virtua-bullies.

Acting out verbal and physical bullying scenarios, virtual kids do not follow script and are "intelligent agents" that learn from their past experience. So the real world kids can't get amusement from convincing the on-screen weed to fight the Neanderthal who lurks in the back row.

Primary school kids tested in the UK and Germany were found to experience a 26 per cent decrease in "victimisation" after having used the software. Presumably that makes the remaining 74 per cent of victimisation more tolerable.

Interestingly, the UK kids responded better than German kids. According to lead researcher Professor Wolke, this is due to kids in the UK starting school earlier and having "a higher reading age".

Sadly the study also found that this reduction was short-lived. But the professor suggested longer term use of the software would help to sustain the positive results. So taking kids out of class to play games will help them stop being bullied when back in the class?

The professor also suggested that this kind of software could also help other kinds of social problems like social anxiety.

At least, any kind of software that needs repeated use in order to allow a limited respite for those with social dysfunction has to be a better alternative than WoW.

*EU project coordinator Ruth Aylett got in touch to say that Warwick boffins did not act alone. Aylett said: "The technology development was carried out by the Universities Heriot-Watt, Sunderland and Hertfortdshire in the Uk, Augnsburg in Germany, the research centre INESC-ID in Portugal and the company Interagens in Italy. The evaluation reported by Warwick also involved colleagues at Universities in Bamberg and Wuerzburg in Germany. And none of this would have happened without funding from the EU FP6 programme. Credit where credit is due please!"

Happy to oblige. ®

Secure remote control for conventional and virtual desktops

More from The Register

next story
Boffins say they've got Lithium batteries the wrong way around
Surprises at the nano-scale mean our ideas about how they charge could be all wrong
Thought that last dinosaur was BIG? This one's bloody ENORMOUS
Weighed several adult elephants, contend boffins
Europe prepares to INVADE comet: Rosetta landing site chosen
No word yet on whether backup site is labelled 'K'
India's MOM Mars mission makes final course correction
Mangalyaan probe will feel the burn of orbital insertion on September 24th
City hidden beneath England's Stonehenge had HUMAN ABATTOIR. And a pub
Boozed-up ancients drank beer before tearing corpses apart
'Duck face' selfie in SPAAAACE: Rosetta's snap with bird comet
Probe prepares to make first landing on fast-moving rock
Archaeologists and robots on hunt for more Antikythera pieces
How much of the world's oldest computer can they find?
prev story

Whitepapers

Providing a secure and efficient Helpdesk
A single remote control platform for user support is be key to providing an efficient helpdesk. Retain full control over the way in which screen and keystroke data is transmitted.
Saudi Petroleum chooses Tegile storage solution
A storage solution that addresses company growth and performance for business-critical applications of caseware archive and search along with other key operational systems.
Security and trust: The backbone of doing business over the internet
Explores the current state of website security and the contributions Symantec is making to help organizations protect critical data and build trust with customers.
Reg Reader Research: SaaS based Email and Office Productivity Tools
Read this Reg reader report which provides advice and guidance for SMBs towards the use of SaaS based email and Office productivity tools.
Security for virtualized datacentres
Legacy security solutions are inefficient due to the architectural differences between physical and virtual environments.