Belgian boy's iPhone 'explodes'
'The screen went completely black'
After a spate of incidents in France, a 15-year-old Belgium boy today claimed he too has suffered at the hands of an allegedly exploding iPhone.
So far there have been 11 reported cases of European iPhone screens which have spontaneously done crazy paving impersonations or - in a few extreme cases - suddenly shattered. All 11 took place in France.
Today, Belgian website De Redactie related the case of one Salvatore from Liege who claimed his iPhone exploded in his hand as he was making a call.
"Happily, the explosion happened inside [the phone]," he said.
The phone's display was left "completely black", Salvatore said. His hand suffered no harm, he said, but he suffered from headaches for some days afterward.
It's not clear when the incident is alleged to have taken place, but the boy told the paper Apple has offered him a replacement handset if he sent his damaged phone back.
Meanwhile, Herve Novelli, France’s consumer affairs minister, will hold talks with Apple France's chief to discuss the spate of exploding-iPhone reports, Reuters has said.
Apple has already launched its own investigation, but won't comment further until the damaged iPhones have been returned for analysis. So far, it has maintained the incidents are "isolated". ®
James Sherwood contributed to this report
In other news, a Dutch boy stuck his finger in a dyke… and she loved it ;-)
Onions or snails?
Why is this only happening in France? What exactly are the frenchies doing to their iPhones? I think we should be told....
I think you're all going to be eating some crow on this one
I'm with James. 11 phones out of how many? It is far below statisitically insignificant. So does that mean it shouldn't be investigated . . . no. Does it mean that armchair idiots should shut up until the investigation is complete. . . yes!
Why don't we wait until we have something more substantial than "reports". Like a photo. In fact I'd love a photo of this iPhone in this story because it apparently exploded "inside the phone" and still managed to give the kid a headache? Does that even sound real or plausible?
This sounds like knockoff phones or batteries, or outright lies and sensationalism.