Feeds

IT shops struggle to control personnel costs

Hiring frozen for a year

Build a business case: developing custom apps

According to a new report out of Gartner, IT managers and chief information officers are having a tough time getting their arms wrapped around personnel costs in their shops.

Gartner has just put its 2009 IT Market Compensation Study out, which is based on surveys it performed back in March at 325 IT organisations in the United States. Some 66 per cent of the respondents to the survey said that they did not have a formal IT workforce planning process that would "enable them to leverage opportunities presented by this downturn."

There are some more concrete bits of data in the Gartner compensation report, including the fact that 64.1 per cent of those taking part in the survey said they would put hiring on hold for 12 months (at the time, between March 2009 and February 2010). The remaining 35.9 per cent saying they were going to be adding staff.

"Considering that workforce-related spending is the largest part of the IT budget, one of the primary challenges for CIOs and HR leaders for the remainder of 2009 and into 2010 will be finding ways to control labor costs while engaging and retaining the workforce," explains Lily Mok, the research vice president at Gartner who does compensation tracking.

"Since it will still take time for the economy to establish a new normal, the impact of this recession will continue to be felt on an organization’s bottom line, as well as on the overall job market. This could cause companies to consider making further cuts in workforce-related spending," she added.

Gartner's research indicates that companies are having trouble finding IT system architects, database administrators, ERP system programmers and analysts, project managers, Web and Internet architects, and Web application programmers. And not because there are not plenty of candidates, but rather because the people that are knocking on their doors and email boxes don't have the skills and experience that companies want.

To make it more difficult, median salary increases are on the decline in IT shops. Averaged across all of Gartner's survey respondents, salary increases for IT staff are projected to be 3 per cent, down from the 3.5 per cent level in 2008. 2010 is also shaping up to have an average increase of only 3 per cent, too.

By the way, payrolls outside of IT are averaging only a 2.8 per cent increase in 2009 and a 3 per cent increase in 2010, based on budget expectations when Gartner did its survey back in March, so don't feel slighted. IT personnel are in the same boat as all other employees. ®

The essential guide to IT transformation

More from The Register

next story
6 Obvious Reasons Why Facebook Will Ban This Article (Thank God)
Clampdown on clickbait ... and El Reg is OK with this
Banking apps: Handy, can grab all your money... and RIDDLED with coding flaws
Yep, that one place you'd hoped you wouldn't find 'em
No, thank you. I will not code for the Caliphate
Some assignments, even the Bongster decline must
Caught red-handed: UK cops, PCSOs, specials behaving badly… on social media
No Mr Fuzz, don't ask a crime victim to be your pal on Facebook
Barnes & Noble: Swallow a Samsung Nook tablet, please ... pretty please
Novelslab finally on sale with ($199 - $20) price tag
Ballmer leaves Microsoft board to spend more time with his b-balls
From Clippy to Clippers: Hi, I see you're running an NBA team now ...
Video of US journalist 'beheading' pulled from social media
Yanked footage featured British-accented attacker and US journo James Foley
Call of Duty daddy considers launching own movie studio
Activision Blizzard might like quality control of a CoD film
Primetime precrime? Minority Report TV series 'being developed'
I have to know. I have to find out what happened to my life
prev story

Whitepapers

A new approach to endpoint data protection
What is the best way to ensure comprehensive visibility, management, and control of information on both company-owned and employee-owned devices?
Implementing global e-invoicing with guaranteed legal certainty
Explaining the role local tax compliance plays in successful supply chain management and e-business and how leading global brands are addressing this.
Maximize storage efficiency across the enterprise
The HP StoreOnce backup solution offers highly flexible, centrally managed, and highly efficient data protection for any enterprise.
How modern custom applications can spur business growth
Learn how to create, deploy and manage custom applications without consuming or expanding the need for scarce, expensive IT resources.
Next gen security for virtualised datacentres
Legacy security solutions are inefficient due to the architectural differences between physical and virtual environments.