18th July 2009 Archive
Browse by publication date, or search the site.
In an irony-filled moment that underlines the flaws of our increasingly digital society, Amazon has removed George Orwell's 1984 from America's Kindle ebook readers. As noticed by one loyal Reg reader - and by the ebullient David Pogue of The New York Times - Amazon vanished the Kindle incarnations of both 1984 and Animal Farm …
Music and Media 18 Jul 06:52
An iPod you can't refuse
A Beverly Hills, California man is suing Apple, the St. Louis Police Department, the FBI, an auto mechanic, and others for aiding and abetting the Italian Mafia's attempt to force him to become a New York fashion model. Plaintiff George McKenna filed a painstakingly detailed 124-page pro se complaint with the US District Court …
Odds and Sods 18 Jul 06:56
Come all ye Redmond testers
Microsoft is looking for guinea pigs to test Windows Home Server Power Pack 3 beta, which is - predictably - built around Windows 7. Pioneering souls with Windows 7 on a home computer or currently running Windows Home Server can sign up here on Microsoft's site. Power Pack 3 expands the ability to create image-based backups …
Applications 18 Jul 07:02
- Geek's Guide to Britain INSIDE GCHQ: Welcome to Cheltenham's cottage industry
- 'Catastrophic failure' of 3D-printed gun in Oz Police test
- Game Theory Is the next-gen console war already One?
- BBC suspends CTO after it wastes £100m on doomed IT system
- Peak Facebook: British users lose their Liking for Zuck's ad empire