Airbed-fixing German blows up
Bright spark sparks solvent blast
Some light airbed-fixing DIY ended badly for a Düsseldorf man when he blew up his flat instead of the inflatable mattress he was attempting to fix.
According to Spiegel, the 45-year-old patched the leaky bed earlier this week with some "tyre solvent", and left it overnight. The next day, a spark from the mattress's electric air pump ignited the solvent, and the resulting explosion blew the living room wall into the stairwell, knocked out windows and wrecked furniture.
A fire brigade spokesman said: "The apartment looked devastated."
Emergency services evacuated 23 people from the bed blast building and a neighbouring property, blocking off the street while operatives checked for structural damage.
Both the man and a three-year-old girl suffered burns in the incident, estimated to have caused €20k of damage. He faces a possible "causing an explosion through negligence" charge. ®
As an Arrogant American ©, I just had to write in and say that I only read this website for the funny ass Brit comments...
Ok, so the guy was negligent
'explosion through negligence'
Is it OK to produce an explosion through professionalism? or exploration?
Must have been a lot of glue to give that sort of explosion. Usually when that sort of thing happens around here it is someone trying to brew up some "P". (Pseudoephedrine)
It does remind me of one of my mates when I was a teenager. He decided he wanted a powerful burner, and came up with a setup where a vacuum cleaner blew air through a closed container full of petrol, like an old style surface carburettor. The resulting mixture came out through a nozzle and burnt really well. Until the time he forgot and left the vaccuum cleaner on suck. In those days the motor was not sealed, so the machine filled up nicely and the brushes ignited the mixture. Didn't do the machine any good at all. The insurance company was mystified but paid up... I doubt if they were told the whole story.