Russians demand flying cars and telepathy
What’s on your 21st century wishlist?
Reader poll Pravda is offering an entertaining insight into just what Russians consider must-haves for the forthcoming century – a list which naturally includes flying cars, cheap space travel and the elixir of eternal youth.
A poll by the Russian National Centre for Public Opinion Studies asked the unwashed masses what they considered the most important advance of the last 100 years, and what was on their wishlist for the next 100.
Space travel topped mankind's achievement last century, while the computer attracted 14 per cent of the vote. Mobile phones, TV and the internet scored eight per cent each.
Predictable enough, but here's what people really want:
- Alternative fuel – 34 per cent
- Bioartificial organs – 33 per cent
- Medicines for all illnesses and diseases – 21 per cent
- Artificial intelligence – 16 per cent
- Space flights available to everyone – 14 per cent
- Flying cars – 13 per cent
- Light-speed vehicles – 11 per cent
- Ability to read other people’s thoughts – 7 per cent
- Perpetuum mobile, human immortality, elixir of eternal youth – 6 per cent each
- Time machine – 5 per cent
- Teleportation – 3 per cent
No, we have no idea* what a “perpetuum mobile” is either, but if it’s some kind of robobutler like we were promised back in the 1950s, then we’ll take two.
And while we're waiting for our perpetuum mobile, why don't we find out just how our beloved El Reg readers’ desires compare to those of the man on the Moscow omnibus? Onwards towards a brighter future...
*What's the matter with you commentards today - weather too hot for you? Yes, we kind of worked out what "perpetuum mobile" means, but then we thought we'd... No, it really is too hot to spell it out. The pub calls, methinks...
I don't know if anyone's noticed this or not but we already have flying cars. They're called helicopters and there's a very good reason they're expensive and not everyone is allowed to drive them.
@ James 5 - If you have teleportation ...
Hey, gear heads will still want to race from stop cloud to stop cloud in their skyvettes.
@ El Reg
I want an Infinite Probability Drive.