'D'oh!' tops fave kids' TV catchphrase poll
Yabba Dabba Doo!
Homer Simpson's "D'oh!" has topped a poll of kids' top TV catchphrases, with Fred Flintstone's "Yabba Dabba Doo!" and classic Dalek imperative "Exterminate" voted second and third in Brit viewers' affections.
This isn't, however, necessarily what today's nippers actually favour, since The Baby Website quizzed 7,431 adults as to what had stuck in their minds over the history of televised entertainment for young 'uns.
Accordingly, there's a fair representation of ancient history in the top 20, including "I love it when a plan comes together" (The A-Team, 7th spot), "If it wasn't for you meddling kids" (Scooby Doo, 14th) and "Cowabunga dude" (Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, 20th).
And, since this is Blighty we're talking about, indigenous talent is well represented with the Chuckle Brothers' "To me, to you" (a creditable 5th position), the Krankies' "Fandabidozi" (8th) and - for those of you of pensionable age - Crackerjack's "Ooh, I could crush a grape" (17th).
The Baby Website described itself as "really surprised by how many of the catchphrases have really stood the test of time" - a fair admission given the Crackerjack result and the fact that Laurel and Hardy's "That's another fine mess you got me into" made the cut.
The full list is:
- D'oh! - The Simpsons
- Yabba Dabba Doo! - The Flintstones
- Exterminate - Doctor Who
- Beam me up Scotty - Star Trek
- To me, to you - Chuckle Vision
- By the power of Grayskull! - He-Man
- I love it when a plan comes together - The A-Team
- Fandabidozi - The Krankies
- I pity the fool! - The A-Team
- What's up Doc? - Bugs Bunny
- I taught I taw a puddy tat - Tweety Pie
- Oh my God, they killed Kenny! - South Park
- What 'chu talkin' about Willis? - Diff'rent Strokes
- If it wasn't for you meddling kids - Scooby Doo
- Can we fix it? Yes we can! - Bob the Builder
- Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Superman! - Superman
- Ooh I could crush a grape - Crackerjack
- Eat my shorts - The Simpsons
- That's another fine mess you got me into - Laurel and Hardy
- Cowabunga dude - Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles
#4 - Beam me up Scotty
I think up Scotty is the last place I'd like to be beamed!
You've got to be joking right?
What dickheads thought it necessary to bring back memories of such abortions as The Krankies and Crackerjack or the See You Next Tuesday that thought renaming Ninja to Hero made a cartoon less violent.
As you noted the adult input had to be key because no kids watching TV today would know what the fuck you were talking about if you mentioned at least 18 of them.
If this had anything to do with kids, you'd have to ask where the catch phrases of Monsieur Squarepants, Timmy Turner's dad or any from the programs kids (and unfortunately myself as a parent of kids) actually watch these days. All I see is a bunch of shite canceled 2 decades before any of today's TV watching kids were born.
In Sheffield it's definitely there - a slight but noticeable (to a language student from Dahn Sahf) glottal stop
Kudos on the name, by the way!
Anyway, back on topic, here's a comment I made earlier.