'D'oh!' tops fave kids' TV catchphrase poll
Yabba Dabba Doo!
Homer Simpson's "D'oh!" has topped a poll of kids' top TV catchphrases, with Fred Flintstone's "Yabba Dabba Doo!" and classic Dalek imperative "Exterminate" voted second and third in Brit viewers' affections.
This isn't, however, necessarily what today's nippers actually favour, since The Baby Website quizzed 7,431 adults as to what had stuck in their minds over the history of televised entertainment for young 'uns.
Accordingly, there's a fair representation of ancient history in the top 20, including "I love it when a plan comes together" (The A-Team, 7th spot), "If it wasn't for you meddling kids" (Scooby Doo, 14th) and "Cowabunga dude" (Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, 20th).
And, since this is Blighty we're talking about, indigenous talent is well represented with the Chuckle Brothers' "To me, to you" (a creditable 5th position), the Krankies' "Fandabidozi" (8th) and - for those of you of pensionable age - Crackerjack's "Ooh, I could crush a grape" (17th).
The Baby Website described itself as "really surprised by how many of the catchphrases have really stood the test of time" - a fair admission given the Crackerjack result and the fact that Laurel and Hardy's "That's another fine mess you got me into" made the cut.
The full list is:
- D'oh! - The Simpsons
- Yabba Dabba Doo! - The Flintstones
- Exterminate - Doctor Who
- Beam me up Scotty - Star Trek
- To me, to you - Chuckle Vision
- By the power of Grayskull! - He-Man
- I love it when a plan comes together - The A-Team
- Fandabidozi - The Krankies
- I pity the fool! - The A-Team
- What's up Doc? - Bugs Bunny
- I taught I taw a puddy tat - Tweety Pie
- Oh my God, they killed Kenny! - South Park
- What 'chu talkin' about Willis? - Diff'rent Strokes
- If it wasn't for you meddling kids - Scooby Doo
- Can we fix it? Yes we can! - Bob the Builder
- Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Superman! - Superman
- Ooh I could crush a grape - Crackerjack
- Eat my shorts - The Simpsons
- That's another fine mess you got me into - Laurel and Hardy
- Cowabunga dude - Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles
Sponsored: Network DDoS protection