Apple touts tips to sidestep iPod earphone electric shocks
Sales of Apple earbuds to joggers, Australians, desert dwellers and... er... anyone with dry skin look set to slide. Why? Because Apple’s warned that its headphones can give off shocks of static electricity.
The firm has posted a warning on its website admitting that “it’s possible to receive a small and quick electrical (static) shock from your earbuds” when they're plugged into an iPod or iPhone.
The device holds the static charge, Apple said, which then discharges itself through the earbuds. Apple also warned that shocks are possible on non-Apple branded earbuds.
The shocking condition, Apple admitted, is often caused by using the cans in areas with "very dry air". So British troops currently serving in Afghanistan should be on their guard, as should air-conditioner salespeople and anyone planning a trip to see the pyramids.
But Apple's not about to leave customers high and dry. It’s listed several ideas for reducing the risk of a static shock. For example, you could try wearing different clothes – or perhaps none at all – because, presumably, a charge can be generated by the earphone cord rubbing across your clothing.
"Touch a grounded unpainted metal object before inserting the headphones," the Mac maker cheerfully offers. We always keep one of these handy for such a purpose.
You may also want to consider keeping your Apple device out of the wind, bulk-buying "anti-static hand lotion" if you’ve very dry hands or avoid frequently taking your iPod out of your pocket because “rubbing the device on certain materials can cause a static build up”.
"There are a number of anti-static sprays that can be sprayed into the air that can be used to reduce static," Apple suggests.
More information’s available online. ®
I've experienced shocks (hadn't thought they were static, but that would make a certain kind of sense - & it felt 'right' for static shock) from the earpieces of a Nokia 5140, many times. Never paid much attention to it - I was too busy driving, usually
@Rob re: Bluetooth - IIRC the iPod has no user-changeable battery, like most of the new Apple stuff, am I right? If so, imagine the $milions more they could make..
So now when I go fill up...
I'll see a new sign with the red slash No Smoking, No Live Flames, No Cell Phones, and now...
... No iPods.
Don't waste hard-earned money on expensive "fixes". Simply screw seven feet of ordinary zinc-plated 5/16 chain to your head before attempting to use your overpriced music gimmick. The static will flow to ground as you trail the chain behind you.
If you don't want to spring for screws, simply add another foot of chain and knot it round your neck.
Although I don't know what all the fuss is. Anyone who sprang for an iPhone must be brain dead anyway.
I have experienced shocks from headphones while riding a bicycle on rollers. It happens when the audio device is NOT in your pocket and static builds up from the rollers and discharges through the headphones. It is actually quite a blast right in the ear. I'm amazed it didn't fry the audio (CD) player.
Naturally I use a different music setup during our cold northern winters when I need the miles and our heating system dries the air.
So sorry, very occasionally words get lopped off in the editing process. We'll make sure our sub-editors receive a suitable punishment...