Feeds

Government flags ID cost increase

Passport slice shrinkage

High performance access to file storage

The identity minister has indicated that passports will account for a smaller proportion of the national identity scheme's overall cost than previously stated.

Meg Hillier told Parliament on 11 March 2009 that introducing and producing passports containing fingerprints will cost "about 70%" of the ten year budget of the National Identity Scheme for UK nationals, currently £4.785m. This would put the specific costs of identity cards at around £1.44bn.

Ministers, including defence minister Des Browne in Parliament last June, have previously put the proportion required for such passports at around 80%, leaving 20% for identity card specific costs.

This contrasts to a degree with the biannual cost reports on the scheme, which have shown the proportion required purely for identity cards rising from 18.5% in November 2007, equivalent to £1bn, to 23.6% in May 2008 (£1.12bn, although this followed changes to the scheme last spring which transferred the cost of taking biometrics to applicants) then 24.9% in the November report (£1.19bn).

A Home Office spokesperson said that the cost proportion in the reports is rising because the 10 years included within each new estimate includes more of the full volume production period for identity cards.

Hillier, who was speaking in a Westminster Hall debate, also conceded that "the government have not been clear enough about their reasons" for identity cards, adding that since the Identity Cards Act of 2006, "there probably was not a strong enough counter-voice from the government about the benefits".

Separately, in a parliamentary written answer on 13 March, Home Office minister Shahid Malik said that the Identity and Passport Service has budgeted to spend 0.25% of the scheme's 2008-09 budget on publicity and marketing.

The Home Office said this equates to a budget of £222,000, which covers printed publicity, leaflets, market research and online media. The actual spending will not be available under the end of the financial year.

This article was originally published at Kablenet.

Kablenet's GC weekly is a free email newsletter covering the latest news and analysis of public sector technology. To register click here.

href="http://www.kablenet.com/kd.nsf/EmailListFormCRL!OpenForm">here.

Combat fraud and increase customer satisfaction

More from The Register

next story
Putin tells Snowden: Russia conducts no US-style mass surveillance
Gov't is too broke for that, Russian prez says
Lavabit loses contempt of court appeal over protecting Snowden, customers
Judges rule complaints about government power are too little, too late
Don't let no-hire pact suit witnesses call Steve Jobs a bullyboy, plead Apple and Google
'Irrelevant' character evidence should be excluded – lawyers
EFF: Feds plan to put 52 MILLION FACES into recognition database
System would identify faces as part of biometrics collection
Ex-Tony Blair adviser is new top boss at UK spy-hive GCHQ
Robert Hannigan to replace Sir Iain Lobban in the autumn
Edward Snowden on his Putin TV appearance: 'Why all the criticism?'
Denies Q&A cameo was meant to slam US, big-up Russia
Record labels sue Pandora over vintage song royalties
Companies want payout on recordings made before 1972
Reprieve for Weev: Court disowns AT&T hacker's conviction
Appeals court strikes down landmark sentence
Judge halts spread of zombie Nortel patents to Texas in Google trial
Epic Rockstar patent war to be waged in California
German space centre endures cyber attack
Chinese code retrieved but NSA hack not ruled out
prev story

Whitepapers

SANS - Survey on application security programs
In this whitepaper learn about the state of application security programs and practices of 488 surveyed respondents, and discover how mature and effective these programs are.
Combat fraud and increase customer satisfaction
Based on their experience using HP ArcSight Enterprise Security Manager for IT security operations, Finansbank moved to HP ArcSight ESM for fraud management.
The benefits of software based PBX
Why you should break free from your proprietary PBX and how to leverage your existing server hardware.
Top three mobile application threats
Learn about three of the top mobile application security threats facing businesses today and recommendations on how to mitigate the risk.
3 Big data security analytics techniques
Applying these Big Data security analytics techniques can help you make your business safer by detecting attacks early, before significant damage is done.