Related topics

Italian iPhone makes like Roman candle

Jobsian hardware flames out

An iPhone's charging cable caught fire in Italy over the weekend - and it may not have been an isolated occurrence.

An Italian blogger has described how his iPhone's cable burst into flames at the point of connection with his phone. You can find a picture of the damage here and read more about it in Apple's forums.

Apparently, the Roman blogger is not alone.

A Swedish blogger reported the same incendiary difficulty last August, and the photo on his site shows the same type of damage as the Roman one. A commenter on that blog identified only as "Paul" reported this January that the same thing had happened to his iPhone.

In addition, a scantily sourced report on ArticlesBase by a Bahrainian-based blogger tells of similar problems. We have not yet been able to contact the source of that report.

In addition, we reported last September about an unfortunate Swiss iPhone user who alleged that his handset got so hot that it was impossible to hold and that its "backplate become blistered and charred."

Whether these reports describe isolated hardware failures or systemic design flaws is not yet known, but if you have experienced a similarly flaming 'Phone, we'd like to hear from you. Perhaps we can light a fire under Apple's feet.

Apple did not immediately respond to our requests for comment. ®

Sponsored: Today’s most dangerous security threats