Apple recalls iPhone 3G power adaptors
Electric shock hazard
Got an iPhone 3G purchased in the US, Canada, Mexico or Japan? Then you'll own one of Apple's latest USB power adaptors, and the company wants it back.
Apple yesterday announced it was recalling all of its "Ultracompact USB Power Adapter" because "under certain conditions the... power adapter's metal prongs can break off and remain in a power outlet, creating a risk of electric shock".
The company said it had "received reports of detached blades involving a very small percentage of the adapters sold". Fortunately, no injuries have been reported, it said.
Apple's iPhone 3G power adaptor: pins may come off
However, it warned owners of the adaptor to stop using it immediately, and to charge their iPhones using a computer's USB connection until it can ship out replacements, which it has pledged to do, free of charge.
However, replacements won't ship until 10 October, Apple admitted.
The problem centres on USB adaptors with two rectangle-profile pins. In addition to the countries named above, the recalled adaptor has also been shipped to a number of South American countries, listed here.
The recall covers adaptors bundled with iPhones and sold separately.
The replacement process can be initiated online or through Apple's retail chain. Apple said it will require buyers' iPhone serial number.
Apple didn't say how many units are affected by the recall.
Studio for sale
>Obviously never tried to produce a song on a windows machine have ya?
Damn ! All these years Ive been recording/mixing etc. on PC's and now I find I cant do it !!
Anyone want to buy a small recording studio ?
You don't have to have an earth connection on all equipment. If your device is a metal box, it will (usually, basically not if it's an amplifier or VCR etc) have an earth connection. If it is in a plastic box it may well not have an earth connection hence lots of the earth pins are actually plastic or not connected. The earth pin does have a 2nd function as key safety device in that the live and neutral holes are blocked off until the earth pin, which is slightly longer is inserted. This prevents kiddies sticking things into the socket and killing themselfs.
@ AC and three pronged plugs
If it's supposed to be a "safety feature to provide a path to earth" how the hell does it do it when:
a) the prong is plastic
b) you break open the plug and only find the live and neutral wires running to the device?
UK vs US mains
I remember one of my friends emigrating to the US, the engineers he worked with saw some of his ker-ay-zee UK plugs and took the piss about clunky tech, right up until he asked them how many mains shocks they had had. The general response was 'loads', I don't know anyone who has ever had a shock from a UK plug/socket.
the 3 pronged plug is a SAFETY feature. the 3rd prong is to provide a path to earth instead of relying solely on the neutral connection to do the job. Plus as A J stiles points out at 110v you need more amps to do the same job. Death by electric shock is NOT caused by the voltage, you could have 10000v pass straight through your body as long as there is a path to earth without suffering too much damage. It is the Amps that kill you, so more amps = higher chance of death making the British system far safer than the American setup.