1st June 2008 Archive
Browse by publication date, or search the site.
Comments Hide your doodles!
On Tuesday the UK's electricity network was shaken by the failure of two major power stations within minutes of each other and a further seven succumbed as the day went on. The crisis is over, but there's chatter over power-rationing, only made stronger by these events. Cospiracy Theories will no doubt abound. (Nice to see the …
Letters 1 Jun 2008, 08:02
City's libraries oppose filters
It was probably the most tits and ass the San Jose, California city hall has hosted in recent memory. By official means, anyhow. In the center of Silicon Valley on Friday evening, about two dozen people sat in the public chamber watching city councilman Pete Constant cruise the internet for porn. With a satisfied look on his …
Government 1 Jun 2008, 08:02
Faulty transformer blamed
A fire at The Planet's H1 data center in Houston, Texas on Saturday has taken out thousands of websites. In messages posted on the web hosting firm's forum, the company blamed a faulty transformer for the fire. No servers or networking equipment were damaged, but the data centre remains without power, after The Planet shut …
Servers 1 Jun 2008, 17:32
- Geek's Guide to Britain INSIDE GCHQ: Welcome to Cheltenham's cottage industry
- 'Catastrophic failure' of 3D-printed gun in Oz Police test
- Game Theory Is the next-gen console war already One?
- BBC suspends CTO after it wastes £100m on doomed IT system
- Peak Facebook: British users lose their Liking for Zuck's ad empire