Feeds

Sony and Sharp to partner on tenth-gen LCD plant

Super-size panel production

Top three mobile application threats

Electronics giants Sony and Sharp have shaken hands on a deal that’ll see both companies invest in a factory designed to punch out cutting-edge LCD panels.

The pair will form a jointly owned subsidiary which is set to be up and running by the end of the April 2009. The JV will use a Sharp LCD panel production factory, which is currently under construction in Sakai City, Japan, to produce tenth-generation glass substrates.

These substrates, which measure 3 x 2m, are 60 per cent larger than eighth-gen substrates, can be cut up to produce various sizes of LCD panels, such as six 60in displays.

It's all about dealing with the increased cost of LCD panel production driven by the need to produce ever larger substrates to cope not only with bigger TV sizes, but to maximise the efficiency of the production process.

Panels from the factory will be supplied to both companies according to the size of their respective investments, 66 per cent of which will come from Sharp and the remaining 34 per cent from Sony. The factory’s expected to produce about 36,000 panels per month when production begins, but this could later shoot up to 72,000 panels once things get going.

The combined size of the financial investment hasn’t been disclosed, but Sony’s chunk will be in addition to a ¥22bn (£105m/€140m/$205m) investment that it’s already budgeted for OLED panel production over the coming years.

Combat fraud and increase customer satisfaction

More from The Register

next story
Samsung Galaxy S5 fingerprint scanner hacked in just 4 DAYS
Sammy's newbie cooked slower than iPhone, also costs more to build
Feast your PUNY eyes on highest resolution phone display EVER
Too much pixel dust for your strained eyeballs to handle
Microsoft lobs pre-release Windows Phone 8.1 at devs who dare
App makers can load it before anyone else, but if they do they're stuck with it
Leaked pics show EMBIGGENED iPhone 6 screen
Fat-fingered fanbois rejoice over Chinternet snaps
Report: Apple seeking to raise iPhone 6 price by a HUNDRED BUCKS
'Well, that 5c experiment didn't go so well – let's try the other direction'
US mobile firms cave on kill switch, agree to install anti-theft code
Slow and kludgy rollout will protect corporate profits
Rounded corners? Pah! Amazon's '3D phone has eye-tracking tech'
Now THAT'S what we call a proper new feature
Zucker punched: Google gobbles Facebook-wooed Titan Aerospace
Up, up and away in my beautiful balloon flying broadband-bot
Sony battery recall as VAIO goes out with a bang, not a whimper
The perils of having Panasonic as a partner
NORKS' own smartmobe pegged as Chinese landfill Android
Fake kit in the hermit kingdom? That's just Kim Jong-un-believable!
prev story

Whitepapers

Designing a defence for mobile apps
In this whitepaper learn the various considerations for defending mobile applications; from the mobile application architecture itself to the myriad testing technologies needed to properly assess mobile applications risk.
3 Big data security analytics techniques
Applying these Big Data security analytics techniques can help you make your business safer by detecting attacks early, before significant damage is done.
Five 3D headsets to be won!
We were so impressed by the Durovis Dive headset we’ve asked the company to give some away to Reg readers.
The benefits of software based PBX
Why you should break free from your proprietary PBX and how to leverage your existing server hardware.
Securing web applications made simple and scalable
In this whitepaper learn how automated security testing can provide a simple and scalable way to protect your web applications.