Boy burned in PSP trouser blaze
A 12-year-old boy was yesterday treated in hospital for second-degree burns after his Sony PlayStation Portable apparently spontaneously combusted in his trouser pocket.
Young Harold Clay was at school - Warner Middle in Farmington Hills, Michigan - when the incident took place. At 9am yesterday morning, the strides-stowed console suddenly became intensely hot, setting light to the boy's jeans, local newssite ClickOn Detroit reports.
Harold Clay's burned PSP
Images courtesy Local 4 News
The PSP managed to burn right through Clay's clothing before a teacher got it away from the lad. The youngster was taken to hospital for treatment but was able to return to school later that day.
Emergency services attending the conflagration later said the fire appears to have begun in the PSP's battery compartment, suggesting the handheld console's power pack overheated. Police are still investigating the incident.
Clay's father later told reporters the console had not been switched on at the time.
And the name of the game loaded onto the machine? Burn Out Legends.
The boy stood on the burning deck...
His pockets full of crackers.
A spark went up his trouser leg.
A blew off both his kn.....
Mines the flame-proof over jacket with the deep pockets.
Will the next game for the PSP be a Hindenburg flight simulator?
It was a real Sony Battery...Not a 3rd party
Turns out the battery was the real-deal and not a knock-off. Another mistake by Sony....
Anyone still hardwiring a Pandora battery deserves to catch fire.
It's all about the software baby.
That is my coat....the one full of warez and psp apps.
If he was using a cheap battery his penny-pinching has come back to haunt him. If he was trying to use a Pandora battery for normal use purposes he was being stupid. If he was just unlucky Murphy's Law has that much more proof. If his mum starts a campaign to ban PSPs or the FAA decides they're now too dangerous to take on planes, I think I'm going to weep for humanity (again).