German air passenger quaffs litre of vodka

Let's see, I can't take the bottle on the plane, so...

A 64-year-old German air passenger almost popped his clogs earlier this week after quaffing a litre of vodka officials told him he couldn't take on the aircraft.

According to Spiegel, the man was switching planes at Nuremberg airport en route from Egypt to Dresden. Security operatives informed him that, according to the terror-busting 100ml liquid limit regulations designed to stop al-Qaeda concealing binary liquid explosives in their hand luggage, he'd either have to pay extra to have his bag put into the hold or ditch the booze.

He magnificently rejected both proposals, and sank the entire bottle. The result was predictable enough. A police spokesperson said: "The vodka quickly had an effect."

A doctor called to the scene found the chap "unable to stand or function" and diagnosed life-threatening alcohol poisoning. Cue a trip to a Nuremberg hospital where the pickled German is still recovering. ®

Sponsored: 5 critical considerations for enterprise cloud backup