New Zealander's Nokia explodes
Battery detonation probe launched
Nokia is investigating why a New Zealand man's phone blew up while it was being recharged.
According to national broadcaster One News, Auckland resident Norman Sievewright's handset exploded during Wednesday night. It was by his bedside at the time, and the detonation caused him a "huge fright".
It also left charred marks on his carpet and his handset in blackened pieces.
"The battery flew out and then maybe there was a secondary little explosion of some sort and it bounced, I guess. That's my suspicion, that it just jumped with the force of an explosion," Sievewright told the channel.
"It was very scary, especially with the fumes," he added.
As yet, it's not known whether the battery was an official Nokia part, or a third-party product. Nokia itself isn't commenting on the cause of the explosion until it has completed its investigation.
In August, Nokia announced a global recall of 46m BL-5C mobile phone batteries made by Matsushita between December 2005 and November 2006.
is paul murray aware that most of europe is also at 220/240 including finland where nokia comes from!
Is Nokia, or the company that makes the chargers, aware that NZ power is 240v, not 110?
In the Southern Hemisphere you have to hold your phone upside down otherwise you void warrantee. Everyone knows that!
Expolding "official" batteries
Strange that the non-official batteries made by Gold Peak Co. have not been know to explode. Must be something in the water they drink !!
You must have my battery, I went to their site, filled in my 26 digit number, was told my battery was one of the effected ones, entered my details and was informed a new battery would be sent to me. This was months ago, to date, no new battery, bloody Nokia.
I used the flame icon as a symbol of my yet to be burning phone.