'I'll be back' is most-quoted movie line
'Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn'
Arnold Schwarzenegger's famous "I'll be back" line from Terminator has been fingered as the movie quote people use most in everyday chat.
A poll of 2,000 film buffs by the UK Film Council's myfilms.com also revealed that people were wont to utter "Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn" in the style of Rhett Butler from Gone With The Wind, and, of course, "Beam me up, Scotty".
Those two classics took second and third spots, respectively, followed by "May the force be with you" and "Life is like a box of chocolates".
A quick check down here at Vulture Central revealed a completely difference set of preferences. Way out in front was "I demand to have some booze!" from Withnail and I, followed by "You talkin' to me?" (Taxi Driver), "No, Mr Bond, I expect you to die" (Goldfinger), "We don't need to show you no steeenkin' badges"* (Treasure of the Sierra Madre) and "Get three coffins ready" (A Fistful of Dollars).
And if those don't wet your whistle, the UK's Odeon cinemas in 2003 complied its own list of the top ten movie quotes of all time, which pretty well confirms that when it comes to catchy one-liners, Arnie and Clark Gable are indeed in a class of their own.
- "I'll be back." - Terminator
- "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!" - Gone With the Wind
- "Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'." (Goddamn right.) - The Shawshank Redemption
- "Hasta la vista, baby." Terminator 2: Judgment Day
- "But you don't understand, Osgood. Uh, I'm a man." "Well, nobody's perfect!" - Some Like It Hot
- "Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye." - 2001: A Space Odyssey
- "Goodbye, Mr. Bond." - Goldfinger
- "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain. Time to die." - Blade Runner
- "Made it, Ma! Top of the world!" - White Heat
- "Fuh-get about it!" - Donnie Brasco
*Yes, yes, we know it's a misquote. The full original is: "Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges."
"You always were an *sshole, Gorman!"
Not sure I'm impressed by this survey - some of these quotes are far too wordy to actually get used in conversation. It all seems a bit contrived. Also, what about:
"How do I get out of this chicken-sh*t outfit?" Aliens
"Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen!" Aliens
"Watch those corners!" Aliens
"I say we take off, nuke the site from orbit - it's the only way to be sure" Aliens
"Get away from her you b*tch!" Aliens
"Not bad, for a human" Aliens
"It's game over, man, game over!" Aliens
"Ease down Ripley, you're just grinding metal." Aliens
"We're on a express elevator to hell.... going down" Aliens
"All I need to know, is where they are." Aliens
"What are we supposed to use, man, bad language?" Aliens
"A day in the corps is like a day on the farm!" Aliens
"I may be synthetic, but I'm not stupid" Aliens
"Hey, Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?" / "No. Have you?" Aliens
There are many more!
Betelguese! Betelguese! Betelgeu
DELIA: This is my art, and it is dangerous! Do you think I want to die like this?
BETELGEUSE: Not so fast, round boy. We're gonna have some laughs.
OTHO: Ugh. Deliver me from L.L. Bean.
LYDIA: I myself am... strange and unusual.
BETELGEUSE: We've come for your daughter, Chuck!
LYDIA: You can't scare her. She's sleeping with Prince Valium tonight.
BERNARD: DELIA, you are a flake. You have always been a flake. If you insist on frightening people, do it with your sculpture.
BARBARA: [as BETELGEUSE] Learn to throw your voice! Fool your friends! Fun at parties!
BETELGEUSE: It's showwwtime!
"Do we have Clearance, Clarence?" (followed by...)
"Roger Roger, What's our vector, Victor?"