Feeds

Alphyra merges with Cardpoint

Payzone is born

Combat fraud and increase customer satisfaction

Irish payment services firm Alphyra has merged with UK firm Cardpoint in a deal reportedly worth €800m.

The merger is a reverse takeover of Cardpoint by Alphyra under the rules of London's Alternative Investment Market (AIM). The two firms will combine to form a new company called Payzone.

Under AIM rules an extraordinary general meeting of Cardpoint shareholders must be held to approve the deal. The merger is expected to be approved and completed by December with the new business to have its headquarters in Ireland and be listed on the AIM. Under the terms of the deal Alphyra will own 59 per cent of Payzone while Cardpoint will hold the remaining 41 per cent.

"This transformational deal creates a leading consumer payments acceptance and cash distribution network with operations throughout Europe and strong potential for growth. With a highly experienced management team in place and a clear strategy for growth, we are confident that this merger will create significant value for shareholders," said Bob Thian, chairman of Cardpoint.

Alphyra provides payment systems such as electronic top-ups and credit card processing to retailers. Cardpoint operates around 6,000 cash machines throughout the UK and Germany. The firms said the merger offered the new entity growth opportunities in Cardpoint's existing markets as well as in Romania, Poland and Greece where Alphyra has made developments in recent times.

ENN reported earlier this month that the two firms were in discussions over a possible merger when Cardpoint responded to media speculation by confirming that they were in talks with the Irish business.

Alphyra's chief executive John Nagle will head up Payzone, and the new company will have operations in 21 countries in total.

"This is an exciting merger combining cost savings and enhanced economies of scale, with a management team well positioned to participate in sector consolidation. Alphyra has emerged from a successful period as a private business in excellent health and focused on leveraging the significant international and domestic growth opportunities for the benefit of all shareholders," said Nagle.

Sixty-seven per cent of Aplyra has been owned by private equity firm Balderton since 2002, when it backed a €88m management buyout that saw John Nagle and the management team retain the remaining 33 per cent.

Balderton had been looking to dispose of its stake since May 2007 following disagreements with management over the performance and strategy of the company. Both the management shareholders and Balderton have stated that prior to the admission of Payzone shares to the AIM they intend to sell up to 50 per cent of their Payzone shares at or around the date the merger is completed.

A relationship agreement between Payzone, Balderton Capital and the Alphyra management contains "lock-up arrangements" to restrict the sale of the remaining Payzone shares held by these shareholders.

© 2007 ENN

3 Big data security analytics techniques

More from The Register

next story
Dropbox defends fantastically badly timed Condoleezza Rice appointment
'Nothing is going to change with Dr. Rice's appointment,' file sharer promises
Audio fans, prepare yourself for the Second Coming ... of Blu-ray
High Fidelity Pure Audio – is this what your ears have been waiting for?
Did a date calculation bug just cost hard-up Co-op Bank £110m?
And just when Brit banking org needs £400m to stay afloat
Sorry London, Europe's top tech city is Munich
New 'Atlas of ICT Activity' finds innovation isn't happening at Silicon Roundabout
MtGox chief Karpelès refuses to come to US for g-men's grilling
Bitcoin baron says he needs another lawyer for FinCEN chat
Zucker punched: Google gobbles Facebook-wooed Titan Aerospace
Up, up and away in my beautiful balloon flying broadband-bot
Apple DOMINATES the Valley, rakes in more profit than Google, HP, Intel, Cisco COMBINED
Cook & Co. also pay more taxes than those four worthies PLUS eBay and Oracle
prev story

Whitepapers

Top three mobile application threats
Learn about three of the top mobile application security threats facing businesses today and recommendations on how to mitigate the risk.
Combat fraud and increase customer satisfaction
Based on their experience using HP ArcSight Enterprise Security Manager for IT security operations, Finansbank moved to HP ArcSight ESM for fraud management.
The benefits of software based PBX
Why you should break free from your proprietary PBX and how to leverage your existing server hardware.
Five 3D headsets to be won!
We were so impressed by the Durovis Dive headset we’ve asked the company to give some away to Reg readers.
SANS - Survey on application security programs
In this whitepaper learn about the state of application security programs and practices of 488 surveyed respondents, and discover how mature and effective these programs are.