Feeds

Telecel Zimbabwe to lose its licence

Has Mugabe run out of farms to grab?

The essential guide to IT transformation

The Zimbabwe government is revoking the license of one of the country's cellphone operators claiming the firm has not done enough to expand its roster of local shareholders.

The move will further restrict communications in the troubled African country.

Telecel Zimbabwe company is 60 per cent owned by Orascom Telecom, based in Egypt, with the remaining 40 per cent owned by the Empowerment Corporation, a company set up to promote indigenous ownership. The Empowerment Corporation has the right to buy another 11 per cent of Telecel, but it doesn't have the money, so Telecel remains in majority foreign ownership.

There are reports that two local businessmen have bought 11 per cent of the company, which should have resolved the problem, but the licence has still been revoked in what is seen as an attempt by Leo Mugabe (who happens to be the nephew of Zimbabwe pres Robert) to take over the firm.

The company's couple-of-hundred-thousand subscribers have no idea what's going on. They are hoping their connections might be taken on by the state-owned Net*One, if Telecel is required to switch off its network, but it's more likely they'll just be left disconnected.

With the country's electrical infrastructure failing network connections are increasingly unreliable, but with each temporary disconnection Telecel subscribers aren't sure they'll be reconnected again.

Getting a cellular connection in Zimbabwe isn't just a matter of signing a contract, so current customers are very worried they'll end up losing communications entirely.®

Secure remote control for conventional and virtual desktops

More from The Register

next story
Déjà vu: Virgin Media jacks up broadband prices
Screw copper phone lines, we're UNIQUE, bleats telco
UK fuzz want PINCODES on ALL mobile phones
Met Police calls for mandatory passwords on all new mobes
Netflix swallows yet another bitter pill, inks peering deal with TWC
Net neutrality crusader once again pays up for priority access
Fifteen zero days found in hacker router comp romp
Four routers rooted in SOHOpelessly Broken challenge
New Sprint CEO says he will lower axe on staff – but prices come first
'Very disruptive' new rates to be revealed next week
US TV stations bowl sueball directly at FCC's spectrum mega-sale
Broadcasters upset about coverage and cost as they shift up and down the dials
UK mobile coverage is BETTER than EVER, networks tell Ofcom
Regulator swallows this line and parrots it back out at us. What are they playing at?
What's the nature of your emergency, Vodafone?
Oh, you've dialled the wrong number for ad fibs, rules ASA
EE network whacked by 'PDP authentication failure' blunder
Carrier is 'aware' of cockup, working on a fix NOW
ROAD TRIP! An FCC road trip – Leahy demands net neutrality debate across US
You crashed watchdog's site, now time to crash its ears
prev story

Whitepapers

Implementing global e-invoicing with guaranteed legal certainty
Explaining the role local tax compliance plays in successful supply chain management and e-business and how leading global brands are addressing this.
7 Elements of Radically Simple OS Migration
Avoid the typical headaches of OS migration during your next project by learning about 7 elements of radically simple OS migration.
BYOD's dark side: Data protection
An endpoint data protection solution that adds value to the user and the organization so it can protect itself from data loss as well as leverage corporate data.
Consolidation: The Foundation for IT Business Transformation
In this whitepaper learn how effective consolidation of IT and business resources can enable multiple, meaningful business benefits.
High Performance for All
While HPC is not new, it has traditionally been seen as a specialist area – is it now geared up to meet more mainstream requirements?