Feeds

Mitac to buy Navman handheld business

Where does that leave Mio?

3 Big data security analytics techniques

Mio parent Mitac has apparently acquired rival handheld GPS gadget maker Navman, but the deal will not necessarily boost the company's own GPS division.

The sale, announced last week but yet to be completed, will see Navman parent Brunswick rid itself of the Navman-branded handheld and in-car devices operation. Brunswick has already found a buyer for its Navman boat-mounted GPS business, but is still seeking a buyer for the Navman commercial road vehicle management division.

Brunswick, which owns a range of boats, bowling and billiards companies, acquired 70 per cent of Navman in 2003, picking up the remaining 30 per cent the following year.

The terms underpinning the Mitac acquisition were not disclosed, but the company does get its hands on the Navman brand. For now, the company said it plans to run Mio and Navman operations separately, though from next year both will use Mitac as their hardware manufacturer.

In Europe, for example, Mio has ten per cent of the GPS market, Navman eight per cent, giving Mitac a combined share of 18 per cent, putting it effectively in second place behind TomTom and ahead of Garmin. Mio and Navman both have strong brands, and ditching either risks losing overall marketshare.

Better, then, to push Mio as the mainstream brand, Navman as the more up-market operation and use both to feed revenue to the parent company by way of their hardware purchasing programmes.

SANS - Survey on application security programs

More from The Register

next story
Samsung Galaxy S5 fingerprint scanner hacked in just 4 DAYS
Sammy's newbie cooked slower than iPhone, also costs more to build
US mobile firms cave on kill switch, agree to install anti-theft code
Slow and kludgy rollout will protect corporate profits
Leaked pics show EMBIGGENED iPhone 6 screen
Fat-fingered fanbois rejoice over Chinternet snaps
Oh no, Joe: WinPhone users already griping over 8.1 mega-update
Hang on. Which bit of Developer Preview don't you understand?
Microsoft lobs pre-release Windows Phone 8.1 at devs who dare
App makers can load it before anyone else, but if they do they're stuck with it
Report: Apple seeking to raise iPhone 6 price by a HUNDRED BUCKS
'Well, that 5c experiment didn't go so well – let's try the other direction'
Rounded corners? Pah! Amazon's '3D phone has eye-tracking tech'
Now THAT'S what we call a proper new feature
Feast your PUNY eyes on highest resolution phone display EVER
Too much pixel dust for your strained eyeballs to handle
Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft – A jolly little war for lunchtime
Free-to-play WoW turn-based game when you have 20 minutes to kill
Zucker punched: Google gobbles Facebook-wooed Titan Aerospace
Up, up and away in my beautiful balloon flying broadband-bot
prev story

Whitepapers

Top three mobile application threats
Learn about three of the top mobile application security threats facing businesses today and recommendations on how to mitigate the risk.
Combat fraud and increase customer satisfaction
Based on their experience using HP ArcSight Enterprise Security Manager for IT security operations, Finansbank moved to HP ArcSight ESM for fraud management.
The benefits of software based PBX
Why you should break free from your proprietary PBX and how to leverage your existing server hardware.
Five 3D headsets to be won!
We were so impressed by the Durovis Dive headset we’ve asked the company to give some away to Reg readers.
SANS - Survey on application security programs
In this whitepaper learn about the state of application security programs and practices of 488 surveyed respondents, and discover how mature and effective these programs are.