9th July 2006 Archive
Browse by publication date, or search the site.
Leaked emails detail train, track, buffers
The UK ID card scheme is doomed to fail, and an attempt to put a face-saving downscaled version into place threatens to wreck the project sooner, rather than later, according to civil service correspondence. An email exchange between David Foord of the Office of Government Commerce and Peter Smith, acting commercial director of …
Music and Media 9 Jul 2006, 17:15
Hands-on approach to knife crime...
Disturbing images are conjured by Scotland's latest anti knife crime measure. Fancy a Kevlar grope? Scottish police are running a trial of battery-powered Kevlar metal-detecting gloves in Strathclyde and Central Scotland. The gloves, the Scotsman tells us, allow officers to scan an individual with the fingertips or the palms of …
Music and Media 9 Jul 2006, 18:28
- Geek's Guide to Britain INSIDE GCHQ: Welcome to Cheltenham's cottage industry
- 'Catastrophic failure' of 3D-printed gun in Oz Police test
- Game Theory Is the next-gen console war already One?
- BBC suspends CTO after it wastes £100m on doomed IT system
- Peak Facebook: British users lose their Liking for Zuck's ad empire